to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other areas of social welfare law  →  Thread

Ending ‘illegal entry’ as a ‘route to asylum’

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3782

Not one of the areas of law we cover too closely, but thought worthwhile to share:

Home Secretary statement on the Illegal Immigration Bill
Ground-breaking new laws to stop the boats

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

Proud to be living in a country where law reads like tabloids…

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

{Home} Secretary Suella Braverman has made the following statement under section 19(1)(b) of the Human Rights Act 1998:

I am unable to make a statement that, in my view, the provisions of the Illegal Migration Bill are compatible with the Convention rights, but the Government nevertheless wishes the House to proceed with the Bill.

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/58-03/0262/220262.pdf

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3216

Suella Braverman has been accused of breaking the ministerial code after an email in her name blamed “left-wing” civil servants of blocking the government’s attempts to stop Channel boat crossings.

The message was sent out by the Conservative Party after the home secretary unveiled her latest crackdown on illegal immigration.

It said: “We tried to stop the small boats crossings without changing our laws.

“But an activist blob of left wing lawyers, civil servants and the Labour Party blocked us.”

She seems to have a bit of a habit of breaking the Ministerial Code….

Suella Braverman May Have Broken Ministerial Code With ‘Left Wing’ Civil Service Attack

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Some good analysis from freemovement.org.uk:

What is in the Illegal Migration Bill?

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Really think the moment has come to rename this site “Left Wing Activist Blob”.

juliem
forum member

Macmillan welfare rights advisor - Barnsley MBC, Barnsley

Send message

Total Posts: 126

Mike Hughes - 09 March 2023 02:26 PM

Really think the moment has come to rename this site “Left Wing Activist Blob”.

When I did British Government and Politics at Sixth Form, my manifesto, hurriedly written on a Tuesday night at Oakwell (can’t remember the opposition) was deemed Conservative by the class. I was mortified, but now wonder just how Left Wing those class mates were. And if they still are now?
I have known a number of now deceased Welfs who would have put their crosses in the blue box - not sure they would now if still alive - but it didn’t stop them being damn good Welfs in those days.

Stainsby
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Plumstead Community Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 617

I must be a somewhat rare breed

I reached   the age for SP 3 years ago this week ,I’ve deferred SP and am obviously still working so HM Govt must see me as having a marvellous work ethic in their terms.

In the normal run of things it would seem that they would want that state of affairs to continue..

On the other hand my ongoing work and my posts here put me right into the left wing activist category (and that is a badge of honour to me)

So would HM Govt prefer me to retire of keep on working as a left wing activist?

Rosie W
forum member

Welfare rights service - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 471

Stainsby - 09 March 2023 06:50 PM

I must be a somewhat rare breed

I reached   the age for SP 3 years ago this week ,I’ve deferred SP and am obviously still working so HM Govt must see me as having a marvellous work ethic in their terms.

In the normal run of things it would seem that they would want that state of affairs to continue..

On the other hand my ongoing work and my posts here put me right into the left wing activist category (and that is a badge of honour to me)

So would HM Govt prefer me to retire of keep on working as a left wing activist?

I’m in the same bracket, although only 15 months past pension age. Proud to be part of the blob.