Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Residence issues  →  Thread

Gaps with pre-settled status

Rebecca Lough
forum member

Welfare rights - Greenwich Council

Send message

Total Posts: 228

Hi All.

We have a client whose best right to reside is as the main carer of a dependent child. She was working consistently before going abroad for approx 8 weeks. She has now returned and work has dried up a lot so her work history post-holiday is very minimal.

Are gaps fatal, or can we just argue it was an extended holiday (which it was) and she continues to have a valid right to reside on the previous history?

Thank you

seand
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Wheatley Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 302

Do you mean that she should have a derivative right to reside as the primary carer of the child of an EEA worker?

All that is needed is that she was a worker while the child was in the UK, and that the child is now in education. She doesn’t have to continue to be a worker

Rebecca Lough
forum member

Welfare rights - Greenwich Council

Send message

Total Posts: 228

It’s more whether the 8 weeks of gap will cause problems, or she can just continue to be the primary carer of the child of an EEA worker?

seand
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Wheatley Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 302

The EU right that is being exercised when someone has a derivative right to reside is for the child to continue in education in the UK. I can’t see that this right is affected by the 8 week gap, even if the child left the UK for 8 weeks as well. It was a temporary absence and I assume the child would just resume the same studies as before

I think there would be a doubt if your client was still trying to rely on her worker status for a right to reside

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 559

There’s lots of case law on gaps in work, and I don’t think 8 weeks would be fatal, especially if she could prove she was looking for work.  So it sounds as if there are at least two of the old right to reside that apply to her.  In the past derivative rights would never have helped to building up a permanent right to reside, so in this sense the post-Brexit rules are more generous in that just carrying on for 5 years should give her settled status.

Mr Jim
forum member

Asylum & Roma Team, Social Work Services, Glasgow City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 135

Has she worked since returning after the eight weeks?

Jim

Ruth Knox
forum member

Vauxhall Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 559

Or demonstrably looked for work?