× Search rightsnet
Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Access to justice and advice sector issues  →  Thread

Are CDP awards significantly higher than DLA awards?

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

This seemed more appropriate in this section, rather than under disability benefits.

I was just looking at some of the stats from Social Security Scotland this morning, and noted:

Around 34,000 children have been transferred to Child Disability Payment from the DWP to Social Security Scotland. Another 9,800 children have been awarded the benefit after a direct application to us.

The latest figures, published on November 15, show £59.9 million was paid to families and carers. Over £34 million of this went to those who had their awards transferred to us, while over £25 million went to those who applied to us directly.

That looks to me like CDP awards from claims direct to SSS were, on average, 2.5 times larger than transfer awards (where SSS wouldn’t have carried out a new assessment of their own).

I haven’t dug deeper into the stats - there are probably other factors that impact the numbers. But, just on the face of it it looks like SSS are making significantly higher awards.

seand
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Wheatley Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 302

I don’t know if you can make that direct comparison. It would depend on how how each CDP award has been in place. If the majority of the transfer awards were very recent, then wouldn’t it make sense that less has been paid out in total?

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

Well yes, like I said I expect there are other factors. It was the significant difference that stood out to me - i.e. accounting for variables x, y and z there may still be a significant difference left.