Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other areas of social welfare law  →  Thread

shared room rate for people aged 35 ...

Jeremy Cross
forum member

CAB Maidstone

Send message

Total Posts: 60

Just a thought ?
Had a cl the other day who suffers with sever panic / anxiety attacks and also paranoia, and they have just received a letter from the Local Authority that informs them that their HB is going to be reduced to the shared room rate from next year.
This has obviously caused them a great deal of distress and anxiety and from the information and evidence they have provided there is no way they can share accommodation with other people.
I read the update on Rightsnet which states people who are considered to be a danger to the public at large are exempt from the shared room rate changes but are there any exemptions for people with mental health problems such as my cl, or indeed people with other mental health problems such as OCD or autism etc ?
I do hope so !!!

Any thoughts or ideas greatly appreciated and have a good weekend all ...

Ros
Administrator

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 1323

Jeremy Cross
forum member

CAB Maidstone

Send message

Total Posts: 60

Thank you for you replies and it would appear my cl is not in a good position unless i can get them middle rate care DLA so they are entitled to SDP in their IS ... Hmmmmm, cuurently on low rate care ?

My fear of this change is that it means there are going to be a lot of people with mental health problems made to sleep rough because they cannot deal with other people (care in the community revisited), or even worse a percentage of them will kill themselves because of the distress this change will cause them ... Hmmmmm ?

Am i being too pessimistic for a last thing on a Friday ...