Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

Migration to UC on death of partner

CAR
forum member

Welfare Rights, Citizens Advice Rutland

Send message

Total Posts: 23

Hi All,
Just looking for clarification (& confirmation) on a case.
We’re FS for UC.
Cl currently receiving CTC & WTC on joint claim but partner has died - are we right in thinking this means a new claim to UC as they can no longer make a new claim for TC’s?
Thanks in adavance

Hattie S
forum member

Macmillanbenefits - Croydon CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 15

This happened to one of my clients recently. If someone has been claiming tax credits as part of a couple, and then they cease to be part of that couple, that ends the tax credit claim automatically. This applies even if the reason they have ‘ceased to be part of a couple’ is that their partner has died. Once the claimant is in a full service UC area, then as normal they won’t be able to make a new claim for tax credits, and will have to claim UC instead.

CAR
forum member

Welfare Rights, Citizens Advice Rutland

Send message

Total Posts: 23

Hattie S - 07 September 2018 04:02 PM

This happened to one of my clients recently. If someone has been claiming tax credits as part of a couple, and then they cease to be part of that couple, that ends the tax credit claim automatically. This applies even if the reason they have ‘ceased to be part of a couple’ is that their partner has died. Once the claimant is in a full service UC area, then as normal they won’t be able to make a new claim for tax credits, and will have to claim UC instead.

Thanks Hattie, I thought as much - shame as this client would be much better off remaining on legacy benefits.