Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

will work allowances increase regularly under UC?

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 871

just been thinking about this due to the uprating.

If the work allowances dont rise regularly then surely any of the slim benefits to UC for some claimants will just disappear year on year?

in the 8 years or so i have done welfare rights i dont think that any of the earnings disregards ever increased. 

surely we wont go down that road with UC?

i’m obviously assuming the minimum wage will increase.

FIT Advisor
forum member

benefit advice officer, three rivers housing association, co durham

Send message

Total Posts: 144

Been working in WR since 1984 and saw in the changes from Supplementary Benefit to Income Support in 1988…..earnings disregard increased from £4 for single claimant x 2 if a couple to £5 per single claimant x2 if couple ....and have stayed that way basically for nearly 30 years. So don’t hold your breath with UC.  Can’t be bothered thinking about the higher earnings disregard.

HB Anorak
forum member

Benefits consultant/trainer - hbanorak.co.uk, East London

Send message

Total Posts: 2908

I think I read somewhere that the increased percentage of child care costs eligible for UC from next April will be funded by freezing work allowances, so it seems there is no intention to uprate them before 2017 at the very earliest.

stevenmcavoy
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Enable Scotland

Send message

Total Posts: 871

I will just add that to my list of grievances then.  i hadn’t really considered it until benefits were uprated this week and i was running some scenarios.

Its the loss of an equivalent of the SDP thats really going to hammer my clients anyway (my client group have around a 13% employment rate) so this is just the cherry on the cake.