to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Misleading press release from DWP

neilbateman
forum member

Welfare Rights Author, Trainer & Consultant

Send message

Total Posts: 443

Here is a copy of an email I have fired off to DWP ministers about yet another example of misleading propaganda.  We need to nail these lies.

“I wish to make a formal complaint under the DWP’s complaints procedure about the grossly misleading and inflammatory headline used in today’s press release about Employment and Support Allowance.

It states: “Majority of people found fit for work”.  This is simply untrue.

a) 39% of those claiming ESA left the benefit or their assessment was still ongoing.  No one knows whether they were fit for work or not.  A further 22% qualified for ESA, so actually less than half of all claimants were found not to have limited capability for work.
b) 36% were found not to have limited capability for work.  This means that they do not have limited capability for work.. It does not mean they are fit for work because this is not what is being assessed.”

Den DANES
forum member

DIAL Lowestoft and Waveney

Send message

Total Posts: 110

Great to see that you responded to this. I was driving to work when it was announced as a very short news item on radio 4 with no discussion or explanation. I was so angry I could hardly concentrate on driving - for all the reasons that you have cited!!