Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

Why are people claiming incapacity benefits?

Paul Treloar
forum member

Head of Policy, LASA

Send message

Total Posts: 842

Richard Berthoud has just published some research looking at why there has been an increase in the number of people claiming incapacity benefits since the 1980’s. In common with others who have posted on here previously, he challenges the assertion that the numbers claiming are primarily due to some problem with entitlement conditions or deliberate policies of GP’s to sign people off sick for little or no reason.

Instead, he asserts that the trend corresponded with a rapid increase in numbers of well-qualified women entering the labour market. For all the growing emphasis on disability rights, it is possible that employers became less motivated to hire or retain people with poor health and low skill levels. “It is even possible,” Berthoud concludes, “that there is now a glut of skilled women on the labour market, acting to the disadvantage of disabled people.”

The research confirms that both the prevalence of reported disability, and the extent of economic disadvantage faced by disabled people, increased over the period analysed, but it is difficult to link the timing of the trends to changes in either national unemployment rates or in social security policy.

Trends in the employment of disabled people in Britain report

Guardian Society story

tbenson
forum member

Income Maximisation Team, London Borough of Camden

Send message

Total Posts: 5

Is there any actual evidence of causation here as opposed to supposition? I would say that the general move in the 1980’s to get rid of workers seen as underproductive and who represented “overstaffing” got the push out of their jobs. As far as I can remember it was easier up to the 80’s for a worker with say back pain and depression to stay in their jobs on light duties or there as to provide cover if someone was off sick/on leave/training etc. Firms just would not employ someone on that basis now regardless of how female/highly skilled the person maybe. These are the people who are now stuck with claiming IB/ESA now. I would bet good money that it the way that capitalism has changed that is to blame…not Women who have the cheek to work in skilled jobs.

neilbateman
forum member

Welfare Rights Author, Trainer & Consultant

Send message

Total Posts: 443

Also see this excellent analysis by ex-welfare rights adviser Steve Griffiths: http://clients.squareeye.com/uploads/compass/documents/DarkTimesBenefitReformThinkpiece67.pdf 

We have such a mountain to climb to persuade the public about the reality of benefit numbers.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

I agree with TBenson. In addition, back in the 70’s & 80’s there were, I think, more jobs available that people with chronic but relatively minor disabilites could perform (admin, clerical, ‘light duty’ manual) but which no longer exist as a result both of the IT revolution and the demise of major industries under Thatcher.

Paul Treloar
forum member

Head of Policy, LASA

Send message

Total Posts: 842

Personally, I think that to try and pin the phenomena down to any single root cause is wrong. I think that there are clearly a number of factors that, when combined, could be said to have played a part.

Improved healthcare in early years and people living longer more generally, less employment prospects for some of the reasons stated above, the changing nature of the employment market more generally, the sometimes perverse incentives created by legislation such as the DDA which has been proven to actually dissuade many employers from considering employing disabled people, the huge increase in the medicalisation of mental health problems, and I’m sure that there are others as well.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

neilbateman - 19 January 2011 05:57 PM

Also see this excellent analysis by ex-welfare rights adviser Steve Griffiths: http://clients.squareeye.com/uploads/compass/documents/DarkTimesBenefitReformThinkpiece67.pdf

Doesn’t work for me.

neilbateman
forum member

Welfare Rights Author, Trainer & Consultant

Send message

Total Posts: 443

Try this link: http://www.compassonline.org.uk/news/item.asp?n=11418

Main link contains % signs which seem to disapper when I cut and paste.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Probably jumping on a bandwagon here but maybe some employers use the old “we cant employ person X with a disability or illness due to health and safety” or the fear that they could be liable to litigation if anything was to happen. Total rubbish of couurse but some people will use any excuse.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

neilbateman - 20 January 2011 11:48 AM

Try this link: http://www.compassonline.org.uk/news/item.asp?n=11418

Main link contains % signs which seem to disapper when I cut and paste.

Got it,  thanks Neil