Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

ESA and medical cert exemption

plymmark
forum member

Money Advice Casewoker, Money Advice Plymouth

Send message

Total Posts: 9

Hello all,

I have a client who will not provide ESA with medical certificates because she is unable to leave her house to collect from the doctor due to menatl health issues. She has no one else to rely on to get this for her. She is also incapable of calling the doctor and asking him to send them.

I seem to remember somewhere that claiments can be exempt from having to provide med certs (or whatever the new name for certs is), in such circumstances. Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

ClaireHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, CMH solicitors, Tyne And Wear

Send message

Total Posts: 186

she must have someone doing her messages/buying her food and drink/etc in which case why can that person not go collect?  or post a letter to GP for her?

plymmark
forum member

Money Advice Casewoker, Money Advice Plymouth

Send message

Total Posts: 9

There is a neighbour who tries to help, but she has her own health problems, so cannot always help as she would like. Anyway I do not think that people shoudl have to rely on freinds and neighbours in such circumstances where their benefits will be stopped, which is why I am hopping that there is some provision in benefits legislation in such cases.

Stevegale
forum member

Torbay Disability Information Service, Torbay NHS Care Trust

Send message

Total Posts: 342

S.I. 2010 No. 137 is useful: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/137/pdfs/uksi_20100137_en.pdf

Extract: “assessment” means either a consultation between a patient and a doctor which takes
place in person or by telephone or a consideration by a doctor of a written report by
another doctor or other health care professional (need to read all sections!).

Does client not have a CPN on her case or other MH professional? For someone with extreme agoraphobia I would normally expect that.