Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

No Appeal Bundles

Bcfu
forum member

Blackpool Centre For Unemployed

Send message

Total Posts: 205

Hi,

I normally deal with PIP appeals so I’m used to large appeal bundle documents, however I’ve got a UC HCE appeal bundle which I’ve just been asked to be the representative.

However, the client has no appeal bundle and states he never received one. I’ve emailed HMCTS and, along with adding me as the representative, has also sent me the appeal documents - this just includes a directions notice about an urgent hearing and that is it!

Is this normal?

Thanks

Adam

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Well there’s “normal” and then there’s “normal for UC”.

Ask a judge to direct that full appeal papers are produced by a reasonable date and then, if not, use the Procedure Rules to get UC kicked out of the case.

See https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1134569/consolidated-ftt-sec-rules.pdf.

The Procedure Rules are your friend.

Bcfu
forum member

Blackpool Centre For Unemployed

Send message

Total Posts: 205

Thanks!

HMCTS have just confirmed that the DWP have failed to produce one (less than 2 weeks away now!).  Why am I not surprised!

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Southway Housing Trust, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 628

Bcfu - 05 December 2023 02:07 PM

Thanks!

HMCTS have just confirmed that the DWP have failed to produce one (less than 2 weeks away now!).  Why am I not surprised!

And once you have your Tribunal decision, (appeal allowed-as recommended by DWP’s own PO) you have to refer back to HMCTS five months later for a Direction to get UC to actually implement the decision and cease taking unlawful deductions!

Jane99
forum member

Benefits and employment advisers team, Parkinsons UK

Send message

Total Posts: 20

Some years ago this was a bit of an issue and some tribunals went ahead without papers. Depending on the case/burden of proof that can be an advantage.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

I will happily still do this when it’s an overpayment case; burden of proof on DWP and no-one has put papers together. It either mysteriously produces papers or they lose given the absence of evidence.

Jane99
forum member

Send message

This was am issue a few years ago and some tribunal went ahead without any bundle from the DWP - in some cases that can be an advantage, depending on the burden of proof and/or whatever info the tribunal has.

In this one the appellant would potential be able to get set aside if an appeal went ahead and he had not got docs and had objected .... 

But really this should not be happening. obvs.

Jane99
forum member

Send message

Mike Hughes - 07 December 2023 10:32 AM

I will happily still do this when it’s an overpayment case; burden of proof on DWP and no-one has put papers together. It either mysteriously produces papers or they lose given the absence of evidence.

Exactly!

Jo_Smith
forum member

Citizens Advice Hillingdon

Send message

Total Posts: 333

Mike Hughes - 05 December 2023 11:59 AM

Well there’s “normal” and then there’s “normal for UC”.

Ask a judge to direct that full appeal papers are produced by a reasonable date and then, if not, use the Procedure Rules to get UC kicked out of the case.

See https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1134569/consolidated-ftt-sec-rules.pdf.

The Procedure Rules are your friend.

Which rule is that, please? (to get DWP kicked out)

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3134

The strike out process is at rule 8. Applied to the DWP, they can be barred from participation (rule 8(7)) and thereafter issues can be summarily decided against them (rule 8(8)). It is an extreme remedy and tribunals will be reluctant to use this process in routine cases.

Jo_Smith
forum member

Citizens Advice Hillingdon

Send message

Total Posts: 333

Ok, thanks. Also thank you for advice about the extreme measure.
I am sure HMCTS know very well about DWP’s under-resourcing, which after all is the root of the problem with bundles. But it is useful to have this option if directions notice(s) are ignored.