to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit migration  →  Thread

Leaflet - “Tax Credits are Ending - Get Ready for Universal Credit”

JPCHC
forum member

Cardinal Hume Centre - Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 189

Does anyone know if everyone is getting these leaflets? Or is it indicative that you’ll be migrated imminently and should be expecting the Migration Notice? Clt is single and in receipt of ESA/HB/CTC.  Thanks

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3147

The leaflet is being sent to all tax credit claimants and does not indicate that a migration notice is imminent.

See further about half way down:
https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/services/welfare-benefits/welfare-rights-and-money-advice/the-move-to-Universal-Credit

HarlowAC
forum member

Harlow Advice Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 184

We’ve received this message regarding the leaflet from our DWP partnership Manager today

“Good afternoon all,
There is a leaflet which is being sent to Tax Credit customers which has information on Move2UC and what they can expect, to get them ready for when they receive their migration notice. A draft of this leaflet can be found on the Move intranet page under Links for Partnership Managers if you haven’t seen it yet.

Some Tax Credit customers are making claims to UC on receipt of the information leaflet. This is down to them thinking that the leaflet is the Migration Notice.

Please can you give the message when talking to our external partners that claimants must wait until they receive the MN, rather than the leaflet, as they will lose out on their TP element if they claim too early”.

So some acknowledgement that there is confusion.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3558

We fed this back at our stakeholder meeting yesterday that people thought they were migration notices and thinking they had to claim - the leaflets arrive in a window envelope with nothing else other than a blank piece of paper with just the claimant’s address to go in the window. You can see why people think it is the migration notice.

While the leaflets have gone out already, we were shown social media adverts which basically mirror the leaflets. We asked that some kind of warning go on to say wait for a migration notice with a deadline, but it now turns out they have been going out on facebook for a number of days already - I’ve emailed DWP again to put forward our concerns and ask if they can be amended.

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

For anyone wondering what it looks like: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6474308/migration-from-tax-credits-to-universal-credit

It is woefully lacking any kind of non-digital support resources. Doesn’t go nearly far enough in highlighting that you won’t get TP unless you wait for the letter.

All you need is a bit of anxiety: “Wasn’t I supposed to get a transfer letter? It’s been a while since I got that letter with the red door on it. I’m worried my tax credits will stop. Better act now, before it’s too late…”

I think the reasonable solution would be a warning on the UC claim page, such as here: https://www.universal-credit.service.gov.uk/register/legacy-to-uc-confirmation

I.e. big red letters stating migration restricted to TC claimants, TCs won’t stop (for this reason) unless you’ve received a transfer notice. They could have made a simple online checker to see if you’re due migration, but that’s probably too advanced for them.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3224

The UC page is woeful.

You understand that if you or your partner make a claim, any benefits you get now that are replaced by Universal Credit will stop. You will not be able to submit a new claim for the benefits that have stopped.

Doesn’t even mention tax credits….

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1970

HarlowAC - 28 September 2023 02:45 PM

We’ve received this message regarding the leaflet from our DWP partnership Manager today

“Good afternoon all,
There is a leaflet which is being sent to Tax Credit customers which has information on Move2UC and what they can expect, to get them ready for when they receive their migration notice. A draft of this leaflet can be found on the Move intranet page under Links for Partnership Managers if you haven’t seen it yet.

Some Tax Credit customers are making claims to UC on receipt of the information leaflet. This is down to them thinking that the leaflet is the Migration Notice.

Please can you give the message when talking to our external partners that claimants must wait until they receive the MN, rather than the leaflet, as they will lose out on their TP element if they claim too early”.

So some acknowledgement that there is confusion.

They didn’t even bother to tell us. The first we knew was when we got the first calls from frightened claimants.