to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Deceased non dependants expected to contribute to household expenses in UC

Jana
forum member

Girlington Advice Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 12

In the memorandum to the UC regulations published in June 2012 (http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/uc-draft-regs-2012-memorandum.pdf) it says at paragraph 113:

“Universal Credit brings together several benefits and credits with separate sets of run-on rules following bereavement which require simplifying and aligning. The Regulations provide that for the next three payments following bereavement the Universal Credit Maximum Amount continues to take account of a deceased partner, child or cared-for person. They also continue to take account of a deceased non-dependent in calculating the housing element.”

I can’t find this in the draft regulations: do you think they have dropped the idea that dead people should still contribute to household bills? If so, it is good to know that they are up for revising some things.

Lorraine Cooper
forum member

Family Support, Barnardo's, Merthyr Tydfil

Send message

Total Posts: 132

I hope that’s just a bit of bad wording, and that they mean the deceased non-dep’s room requirement will remain in place for the next 3 payments of UC - increasing the amount of housing element, rather than a non-dep deduction reducing the amount of UC.

I might be being generous though. Nothing surprises me any more.