Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Residence issues  →  Thread

PIP new claim - refused due to LLR ending in the future

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

Hi all,

This is a new one to me so interested if anyone has come across a similar scenario already?

PIP awarded several years ago. End date coincides with date that leave to remain ends (15 June 2024).

PIP write to client approx. 6 months before this date and invite a new claim.

Client attempts to do this, phone call proceeds as normal. Client then receives a letter that apologises that they had told her this and further states:

“Your leave to remain ends on 15 June 2024. | am writing to you to let you know that we cannot send out the PIP2 form until we have proof that your leave to remain has been extended past the 15 June 2024 or official confirmation from the Home Office that they have received an application from you to request an extension for your leave to remain in the United Kingdom past the 15 June 2024”

Obviously it is in client’s best interest for the application for leave to be extended regardless but is the refusal of PIP to accept the claim correct when client does have LTR as things stand?

Also, on a practical note, would there be any benefit for client to ask for existing award to be superseded (rather than making a new claim) once application for leave to be extended has been made?

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3134

I am not sure that there is really anything much to be done for the moment. On any view, the current facts are that your client currently has no right to remain in the UK beyond 15 June 2024 and therefore will have no entitlement to PIP beyond that date. That will remain the case until she makes a relevant application and obtains s3C leave. 

I don’t read the letter from PIP as saying that they are refusing to accept a claim. They seem to be saying that they will send out the health questionnaire once satisfied that her leave has been extended. The PIP2 questionnaire is not the claim form - its a request for information under reg 8 PIP Regs - the PIP1 claim form would have been completed over the phone. Regardless, if you pressed them on it, they could just refuse the advance claim on the grounds that your client won’t have an entitlement from 16 June 2024 onward on the basis of her immigration position - which is where matters currently stand.

It should really be a case of getting the extension of leave sorted out and then getting back in touch with PIP. I have known them to extend awards over the phone in these sorts of circumstances although it is a while since I have had practical experience of it.

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

Elliot Kent - 15 March 2024 11:19 PM

I am not sure that there is really anything much to be done for the moment. On any view, the current facts are that your client currently has no right to remain in the UK beyond 15 June 2024 and therefore will have no entitlement to PIP beyond that date. That will remain the case until she makes a relevant application and obtains s3C leave. 

I don’t read the letter from PIP as saying that they are refusing to accept a claim. They seem to be saying that they will send out the health questionnaire once satisfied that her leave has been extended. The PIP2 questionnaire is not the claim form - its a request for information under reg 8 PIP Regs - the PIP1 claim form would have been completed over the phone. Regardless, if you pressed them on it, they could just refuse the advance claim on the grounds that your client won’t have an entitlement from 16 June 2024 onward on the basis of her immigration position - which is where matters currently stand.

It should really be a case of getting the extension of leave sorted out and then getting back in touch with PIP. I have known them to extend awards over the phone in these sorts of circumstances although it is a while since I have had practical experience of it.

Reading this again with your analysis in mind, agreed they don’t appear to have refused to accept the claim. Thanks Elliot.

Stainsby
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Plumstead Community Law Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 616

See thread

https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/19655/#92605

I was entirely right when I said before that guidance is being wrongfully elevated to an authorattive statment of the law

This is revealed by the DWP submissions in the case I took to Tribunal and debunked by the Tribunal Judge

[ Edited: 25 Mar 2024 at 03:04 pm by Stainsby ]

File Attachments