Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Which benefit calculator?

CA Adviser
forum member

Citizens Advice Calderdale, West Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 168

Hello
In my other job, it looks as though they are not going to be able to continue funding QBC. QBC is great because you can run through different scenarios quickly. Which other free online calculators do advisers use and recommend?

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

I haven’t found any comparable alternatives. As far as I’ve found all the online ones only work sequentially, which is far too much of a pain to work with.
I’ve always put it to my employers that QBC saves me time, but the old time = money doesn’t always work with charities and funding restrictions.

If I didn’t have QBC I’d probably code a calculator myself 😊

CA Adviser
forum member

Send message

I agree Val1der, nothing else works as well as QBC- the others are much too slow. I’ll need to keep lobbying for QBC…

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Southway Housing Trust, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 628

Indeed. QBC is head and shoulders better than anything else I have ever encountered.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

Va1der - 01 August 2023 04:21 PM

I haven’t found any comparable alternatives. As far as I’ve found all the online ones only work sequentially, which is far too much of a pain to work with….
If I didn’t have QBC I’d probably code a calculator myself :)

Just to point out that Ferret’s Ferrcalc is a non-sequential calculator, with the commonest information all on one screen.  It can be accessed as a web version if wanted. 

Enjoy writing your own :-). I spent yesterday doing 12 years of consolidation of a set of regs, thanks to legislation.gov not updating them; all for 2 parameters.

Va1der
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer with SWAMP Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 706

I see you’ve gone for the same brutalist design as QBC Gareth 😊  Is there a trial/demo version of Ferrcalc? I’d be intrigued to try it.

If I was working with a very limited client group I might have had a go at writing something of my own, but there are so many fringe scenarios to account for.

I’ve also toyed with the idea of writing something a bit more user friendly - as we found several of the online communities are discouraging the use of online calculators because they find them inaccurate/unreliable, and I suspect this is largely down to user error. But again, so many more or less common scenarios to account for.

For the time being I’ll probably just stick to making a new website for my local board game group.

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

We have an adapted version of the Entitled To benefit calculator which is designed to strip out some of the less relevant information for older people.

I find it fairly straightforward to use although I do prefer pen and paper in many instances. This is good though as you get CTS calculations as well, not sure if others do, presumably so?

CA Adviser
forum member

Send message

Just to point out that Ferret’s Ferrcalc is a non-sequential calculator, with the commonest information all on one screen.  It can be accessed as a web version if wanted. 

Hello

Is there a version of Ferrcalc anywhere to try out?

Thanks

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2002

Just ask us for a demo.  I’ll send you a link to our email address.

CA Adviser
forum member

Send message

Thanks, have done so.