Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Children and childcare  →  Thread

Problems with electronic TC689

AndreaFB
forum member

Foodbank Adviser, CA Hammersmith and Fulham

Send message

Total Posts: 34

Hi everyone
I only have about a 50% success rate with submitting these electronically.  I get the automated no reply acknowledgment email but when I call TCO or CHB, they telll me it has not been registered and all they can suggest is to resubmit.  I would like to find out why it has not been processed though, just in case there is something wrong with the way I complete the online TC689 - We had problems in the past and it took ages to find that they would not process our forms because the address was not exactly the same as the one we are registered with.

I only have the postal address for the Intermediaries, Agents and Appointees Team & the intermediary line could not gvie me any other contact details fro them not have any contacts for them. . 

Has anyone else had technical problems with the electronic form, or can I safely assume that there is something wrong again with our registration?

Helen Rogers
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Stockport MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 236

I was under the impression that the facility to input these authority forms electronically had stopped a while ago.
I’ve been sending them by post since then.

AndreaFB
forum member

Foodbank Adviser, CA Hammersmith and Fulham

Send message

Total Posts: 34

The link is still there https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/shortforms/form/tc689?dept-name=⊂-dept-name=&location=43&origin=http://www.hmrc.gov.uk  and they sent an acknowledgment email, but maybe you are right, Helen, and they just don’t process them any longer.
I have sent a paper copy to Child Benefit and was told it takes 21 days for post to be scanned,  TCO I can probably manage to get through on phone when client is with me.

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

I’ve only one experience of this in the last few years but just checked my notes and I used the online KANA689 form in December and spoke to the Intermediaries line with no issue 1 week later.

Helen Rogers
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Stockport MBC

Send message

Total Posts: 236

Don’t suppose you could provide a link, Tom?
Googling has only brought up the TC689 form.

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

Sorry Helen - the link that Andrea posted is the one I will have used.

I could have sworn it was titled KANA689 in the past though (not necessarily recently - dim and distant memories when I would have been doing more Tax Credit work)

LITRG
forum member

Low Incomes Tax Reform Group

Send message

Total Posts: 107

AndreaFB - 20 July 2023 04:56 PM

Hi everyone
I only have about a 50% success rate with submitting these electronically.  I get the automated no reply acknowledgment email but when I call TCO or CHB, they telll me it has not been registered and all they can suggest is to resubmit.  I would like to find out why it has not been processed though, just in case there is something wrong with the way I complete the online TC689 - We had problems in the past and it took ages to find that they would not process our forms because the address was not exactly the same as the one we are registered with.

I only have the postal address for the Intermediaries, Agents and Appointees Team & the intermediary line could not gvie me any other contact details fro them not have any contacts for them. . 

Has anyone else had technical problems with the electronic form, or can I safely assume that there is something wrong again with our registration?

We sit on the tax credits consultation forum with HMRC, we could raise it as an issue via that group to see if there are any known issues. If you have any further details you can share, do email us .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) otherwise i’ll use the details from your post.

LITRG

S Taylor
forum member

Welfare benefits adviser - Macmillan Caring Locally, Christchurch

Send message

Total Posts: 61

This is the link I usually use to send a TC689 but I haven’t needed to use if for quite some time. Hope it helps.

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/shortforms/form/tc689?dept-name=⊂-dept-name=&location=43&origin=http://www.hmrc.gov.uk

J Bathie
forum member

Family Finance Adviser, Money Advice Unit, Herts CC

Send message

Total Posts: 36

We sit on the tax credits consultation forum with HMRC, we could raise it as an issue via that group to see if there are any known issues. If you have any further details you can share, do email us .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) otherwise i’ll use the details from your post.

LITRG[/quote]

Hi LITRG - is there any update on this please? I was unaware of any issue with registering TC689s online until I read this thread.

Re original poster’s previous issue - I know I used to get a phonecall from the man who logged them if there was any mismatch in the info - usually a typo I’d done -  meaning it didn’t match their records - and he’d just tell me to resubmit the form

(I didn’t want to quote the whole post so edited it but now it looks like it’s not a quote!)