Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

How to deal with ‘confused’ NINos in new UC claim for refugee

ZoeHBF
forum member

Welfare and Housing, Helen Bamber Foundation (London)

Send message

Total Posts: 82

Hello,

One of our clients has finally been granted refugee status after many years of waiting. He has now received his BRP, and he and his twin brother have noticed that the NINos on their BRPs are exactly the same. We think that it must be a ‘confused NINo account’ (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/576722/nino-staff-guide-confused-accounts.pdf).

He needs to claim UC ASAP as he will be lose support from the Home Office in 3 weeks’ time, and given that you don’t have to put the NINo in on initially claiming UC, I’m thinking he can claim UC without having to worry about fraud, and then once he has claimed UC, put a note on his journal raising the issue of the confused accounts/NINos, but any thoughts gratefully received!

Mr Jim
forum member

Asylum & Roma Team, Social Work Services, Glasgow City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 134

Zoe,

I would speak to his lawyer about it and ask them to get the duplicate NI no. issue sorted. I would also advise that he claims UC and explains to DWP what has happened as they may be able to intervene to get it sorted.

Jim

Mr Jim
forum member

Asylum & Roma Team, Social Work Services, Glasgow City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 134

Zoe,

You may also want to phone the Home Office and inform them of their error.

Jim