to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

PIP and ‘pensionable age’

ncodp
forum member

Welfare Rights Advice, Disability Rights Norfolk

Send message

Total Posts: 26

My reading of s.83 of the new WRA is that once someone reaches pensionable age, PIP will cease altogether and the only entitlement they will have is via a claim for AA - there will be no continuation of the mobility or low rate care (or I suppose standard rate daily living) component if they have been claimed before 65th birthday, as now.  This may be ‘fair’ to all claimants who lose their mobility after they turn 65 (why should they be treated differently), but it is an absolute disgrace.  I don’t know why I have only just noticed this…too many other parts of PIP to be outraged about I suppose.  Have I missed something?
Julie Kemmy, DRN

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2009

Don’t panic

Look at subsection (3)

“(3) Subsection (1) is subject to such exceptions as may be provided by regulations.”

The guidance note says: Subsection (3) provides that regulations may specify exceptions to this. For example, regulations may provide that if a person is in receipt of personal independence payment before reaching the relevant age, they may continue to receive this benefit.

Maria Miller, the minister, said last year in answer to a question about this:

”...he raised a number of other issues, including, in particular, eligibility after 65, and I assure him that the personal independence payment will continue past retirement, as long as an individual continues to be entitled to it”

So, much the same as DLA, it seems.

ncodp
forum member

Welfare Rights Advice, Disability Rights Norfolk

Send message

Total Posts: 26

Thanks for that.  On the other hand, Maria Millier’s assurances….hmmmm…..hard not to think “We’re all DOOMED!” sometimes.