Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

DWP fail to implement Tribunal Decision

< 1 2

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Southway Housing Trust, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 628

Correct. The issue was “notional” capital.

Brian JB
forum member

Advisor - Wirral Welfare Rights Unit, Birkenhead

Send message

Total Posts: 472

past caring - 11 July 2016 03:39 PM
Brian JB - 01 July 2016 12:55 PM

I appreciate this is a brief summary of the case, but how did the tribunal get past B v SSWP?

If the alleged overpayment was as a consequence of notional as opposed to actual capital, then B would not be a hurdle - and a claimant’s capacity would be entirely relevant.

Perhaps that’s the explanation?

I am not sure I understand where you are coming from . Notional capital in this case derives from there having been actual capital at some point, which is no longer possessed by the person. There is no requirement to disclose notional capital, only actual capital (understandably) .

I appreciate this is a side issue to the initial query, so apologies to the original post, it was just a matter of interest

past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser - Southwark Law Centre, Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 1125

You asked Benny how he was going to get past B?

I was saying that B is relevant only if any alleged overpayment arose at the point whilst the claimant still possessed the capital - because it’s about whether a person’s lack of mental capacity can displace their legal obligation to disclose a change of circumstances or material fact.

But if the overpayment relates entirely to alleged notional capital (i.e. the overpayment period is confined to a time after they’d disposed of it) then the issues are whether the claimant was aware of the capital limits, what their purpose was when disposing and whether (if they have mental health problems) they could properly said to have even been in control of their spending - and a claimant’s mental capacity is relevant to those issues. And because there was no claim at the point of the disposal, B isn’t a problem - there was nothing to disclose.

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Send message

To return to the point; DWP are still apparently arguing amongst themselves as to who is actually responsible for actioning the Tribunal’s decision. Result is that our client is still not receiving her entitlement while the buck merrily circulates from one DWP department to another.

Meanwhile, client is blaming us…...........!

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3211

Benny Fitzpatrick - 14 July 2016 02:24 PM

Meanwhile, client is blaming us…...........!

I’ve been on the receiving end of very similar stuff before Benny, it’s really not a happy situation to find yourself in is it? I think we needed to get MP involved in the end to resolve and even then, client came back and said “Why couldn’t you do what he’s done?” even though we’d suggested the MP in the first place.

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Send message

We already involved the MP, who, being of the new intake, merely regurgitated the DWP official line to us.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Doesn’t it drive you mad when they do that?