to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Proving housing costs for UC - tenancy agreements

geep
forum member

WRO, housing management, Notting Hill Housing

Send message

Total Posts: 181

I recently read a memo or something which the said the DWP was aware of the problem with job centres insisting on new tenancy agreements for verifying rent liability/ housing costs for UC. The problem is I can’t find it now. Landlords are not going to issue new tenancy agreements for UC claims, so should they just be providing recent rent statements or a letter confirming that the claimant is still a tenant along with a breakdown of the current gross rent?

Ideally I’d like some DWP guidance that I can quote to show job centre staff that they shouldn’t be insisting on new tenancy agreements, but I’m not sure if that guidance exists yet.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

Found this.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/526582/universal-credit-and-rented-housing-faq.pdf

You also might want to point out to them that it is well established law that a lease of less than three years doesn’t even have to be in writing.

robverco
forum member

Welfare Benefits Officer, Wandle Housing

Send message

Total Posts: 59

Providing the latest rent review letter along with the tenancy agreement has worked so far.