to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other areas of social welfare law  →  Thread

Research into Destitution

Rehousing Advice.
forum member

Homeless Unit - Southampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 637

I must admit that most research papers passes me by.  There is so much bad science out there, that unless something grips me in the first few paragraphs as possibly “interesting” then its binned. (hopefully I just don’t read the stuff that reinforces my prejudices but hey-ho I guess I am guilty of that as the next person)

So I was somewhat sceptical when I came across yet another report on poverty/exploitation/destitution.

https://www.jrf.org.uk/press/destitute-uk

What I like about this, is that they actually went to a trouble of defining what destitution is, and checking with the public, not just the so called experts (who actually just confuse issues with overly technical definitions) to see if theirs was an acceptable definition.

Now you or I might disagree with their conclusion but you have to admit they score highly on transparency, and at least we and they, are talking about the same thing….basic needs for shelter, food, heating, lighting, clothing, toiletries….

Having established a consensus that their definition was reasonable, they only then began their study.

Its impressive stuff, and we are going to see if we can do something local to audit destitution in my own area using their definitions, with their permission.

It is not as exciting as sending a couple of undercover operatives to the local foodbank….but we might learn a tad more.

Anyway for those of you involved in LWPS or measuring the impact of welfare reform, it is (in my opinion), a interesting methodology and research that is actually err well worth a read.