to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Please stop!

ROBBO
forum member

Welfare rights team - Stockport Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 334

I’m beginning to get a steady trickle of letters from PIP about the latest developments for people I was representing in years gone by.

It’s quite interesting to see how people are getting on, but there’s no real reason I can see for me to get these, when the cases have long been closed.  It could be said it’s a bit of a waste of money and effort, too.

Why do they do this, and when will they stop?

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

TBH, with a caseload of people with mental health issues I’m quite glad to get a reminder that they need to do something as some of them won’t without my assistance.

Don’t stop!

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

I’ve noticed this too. I think that once they do have you listed as a rep you remain so unless you contact them and ask to be removed.

Like Dan, I’d rather we were than weren’t. At least we can hopefully make further contact with the more vulnerable of previous service users when possible.

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

It’s wholly wrong - you can’t have personal details being sent around ‘just in case.’

I doubt the ICO would be impressed.

Like my esteemed colleague - I have also had notifications for people who we are no longer dealing with.

Funny how when you are ACTIVELY dealing with someone you are more likely to receive nothing.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

So, just to be clear then, when we send in a form of authority DWP claim that this has a limited life time, but they have now started sending out reminders on some of those same cases to the same rep. whose authority they believe was time-limited.

Hmm.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Yep- think that sums it up Mike.

PIP is the only office that seems to do it (let’s face it, most arms of the DWP refuse/don’t bother to copy us on anything regardless of how many times we submit authority).

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

1964 - 16 May 2016 12:38 PM

let’s face it, most arms of the DWP refuse/don’t bother to copy us on anything regardless of how many times we submit authority).

Or indeed what their guidance states…

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/461988/working-with-representatives-sept-2015.pdf

[ Edited: 17 May 2016 at 09:37 am by Dan_Manville ]
Grunkle
forum member

Welfare Rights Advice,Torfaen People's Centre Ltd

Send message

Total Posts: 50

Can beat that,

back in the wee small dawn of pre history one of my collegues was sent order books (said it was a while ago) on the strength of a form of authority which the department deemed made him our clients appointee.

Have recieved letters occassionally indicating that clients have not returned an ESA50 or DLA/PiP form and will admit that has been useful in nudging clients into either bringing the forms in for completion or that they have not had the letter/forms or what ever.