Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Benefit Cap - reduction from benefits other than HB

JoW
forum member

Financial inclusion manager - Wythenshawe Community Housing

Send message

Total Posts: 343

Hello

I haven’t come across many people effected by the current benefit cap and those I have, have only lost from their HB. When the reduced cap comes in I anticipate people effected by the current cap will reduce by more than their HB amount. Is this taken from IS/JSA/ESA next?

Is this happening already where people are more than their rent above the £500 cut off? I seem to remember that was the intention but didn’t happen immediately when the first cap came in (I think because the DWP weren’t ready) so people just got their HB capped.

Jon Blackwell
forum member

Programmer - Lisson Grove Benefits Program, Brighton

Send message

Total Posts: 501

The benefits cap doesn’t bite into other legacy benefits -  just HB. It can’t reduce IS/JSA/ESA.

It’s different for UC - there the whole award subject is to the cap (it’s not limited to just the housing element).

Rehousing Advice.
forum member

Homeless Unit - Southampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 637

Jon Blackwell - 11 May 2016 03:53 PM

The benefits cap doesn’t bite into other legacy benefits -  just HB. It can’t reduce IS/JSA/ESA.

It’s different for UC - there the whole award subject is to the cap (it’s not limited to just the housing element).

And unfortunately these (very few) UC/BC cases are the ones that the DWP is unable to share the details of, with a LA when the newer lower cap comes in…..so stopping homelessness in these cases is going to be more difficult.