Aids and appliances for preparing food and taking nutrition

< 1 2 3

ClairemHodgson
forum member

Solicitor, SC Law, Harrow

Send message

Total Posts: 1221

John Birks - 01 June 2016 03:14 PM

I’m arguing that Beans on Toast is insufficient for a simple meal.

Neither are fresh for a start, .

nothing better than a freshly baked loaf of bread (I bake my own…...)

however, slicing same can be difficult!

John Birks - 01 June 2016 03:14 PM

However, if they were components of an Full English Breakfast then this would be sufficient to pass the test of a simple meal. .

and then there’s still issues on dealing with the rest of the constituents of said full english

as for the beans - can the person open a can?

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

Sorry if I’ve been unclear on this - the assumption is that the claimant has described making B&T (and similar) and the relevant score to be attributed.

flair
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Linstone Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 53

Hello Again, an update on my client’s case:

Was initially awarded 2pts under Activity 1(b) as he cannot cut up food due to lack of grip/strength in one hand, and it is accepted he needs an aid/appliance., and 0 points were awarded for Descriptor 2 where the Definition of ‘Take Nutrition’ includes the cutting up of food and so 2(b)(i) or (iii) must also apply.

At Tribunal, despite getting some extra points elsewhere which took him to 6 there was still 0 points awarded for descriptor 2, I therefore asked for a SOR and this has now come through,
regarding activity 2:

‘‘On this basis the tribunal could see no reason why the appellant should be unable to use adapted cutlery to assist him with cutting up food’’

Surely adapted cutlery qualifies as an aid ???  and therefore descriptor 2 (b)(i)

Just in case I am missing something before requesting to go to UT

Thanks Greg

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3549

I’m with you all the way Greg - improves the impaired physical function of gripping in order to be able to cut up food - straightforward definition in reg 2

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Me too.

Just had a similar one where tribunal found client needed to use a dosette box and write notes to herself to remember to take her meds due to short term memory issues (associated with her disability) but that as she managed her medication no points could be awarded (I know it’s only 1 point but…)

Inverclyde HSCP Advice Services
forum member

Inverclyde Council

Send message

Total Posts: 142

Should be straightforward even taking the most limited view of ‘aid’ given by CPIP/3369/2015
Paragraph 31

...So, using an ordinary wooden spoon to stir hot food while it is cooking is using an ‘aid’ in the everyday sense of the word, but it would not assist in overcoming the consequences of any loss of function, because it would be used anyway. But if the spoon had a special handle for someone with poor grip, it would be an aid for the purposes of Activity 1 (preparing food). Gripping is a function involved in cooking and the use of a handle that improves grip makes the spoon an aid.”

http://www.osscsc.gov.uk/Aspx/view.aspx?id=4843

Same must apply to aids for taking nutrition

Phil (Inverclyde)