to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Benefits for older people  →  Thread

Open ended assessed income period

RAISE Advice
forum member

RAISE Benefits Advice Team, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 151

I have a client who’s 81, she has an open ended assessed income period on her Pension Credit and is about to come into a very large inheritance.

The thing is she’s entitled to an SDP that isn’t in payment but I’m assuming if we were to claim this her award would be reassessed and the soon to be received capital would dis-entitle her to GPC and also Housing Benefit.

I’m thinking leave well alone, though at the same time I haven’t found anything to say an SDP would would have any effect on an assessed income period.

Be grateful for any input on this one.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Shouldn’t make a blind bit of difference as far as I can see. The assessed income period wouldn’t come to an end due to the SDP entitlement and the inheritance shouldn’t result in the AIP coming to an end either.

C Browne
forum member

Macmillan Cancer Support

Send message

Total Posts: 66

Dear Alan,

I understand that the Assessed Income Period rules on a change in circumstances initiating a revised Guarantee Pension Credit amount changes in April 2016. Any changes in circumstances after 06/04/2016 brings an AIP to an end. I hope your client comes into her inheritance before that date.

Regards

Chris

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3553

My understanding is that if it is an indefinite AIP it will remain in place until it ends under existing rules - see http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/welfare-rights/news/item/limitation-of-savings-credit-and-phasing-out-of-assessed-income-periods. As far as I can see awarding of an SDP would not bring it to an end - see CPAG pg 148.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Mine too.