Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other areas of social welfare law  →  Thread

British passport for EEA child born in the UK

Sue123
forum member

EEA Family Support, Children's Centre Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 135

Hi,
I am not sure if I can ask this question here, but wasn’t sure in which section I could ask this.
I have seen quite a few parents from the Czech or Slovak Republic, who would like to apply for a British passport for their child that was born in the UK.
From what I have read, the parent would have to be exercising treaty rights for 5 years before the child was born, however I need some advice.
The parent I spoke to today said she’s attended high school and then worked for 2 months and then stopped working. Her father (grandfather to the child) however had worked for 7 years in the UK.
How can I figure out if she’s been exercising treaty rights and if she’s entitled to apply for British passport for her child?
thank you

Elliot Kent
forum member

Shelter

Send message

Total Posts: 3134

If the child wants a British passport they will need to apply for citizenship. The fee is £936. They would then need to apply for a passport which would be another £80 or so. In short it is, like Ron Burgundy, kind of a big deal.

Whether a particular application would or would not be successful is, I think, a reserved matter under immigration law and you would need to be suitably regulated to advise on it. I’m not sure if its something we’re supposed to talk about here.

Sue123
forum member

EEA Family Support, Children's Centre Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 135

Elliot Kent - 15 March 2016 02:17 PM

If the child wants a British passport they will need to apply for citizenship. The fee is £936. They would then need to apply for a passport which would be another £80 or so. In short it is, like Ron Burgundy, kind of a big deal.

Whether a particular application would or would not be successful is, I think, a reserved matter under immigration law and you would need to be suitably regulated to advise on it. I’m not sure if its something we’re supposed to talk about here.

ok
thank you