Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Change of circs for only one aspect? 

Nan
forum member

Generalist team - Hammersmith & Fulham CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 155

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone knows if the same option stands for PIP as with DLA where you could request a change of circumstances for only one aspect of care/mobility and leave the other half of the form unfilled with the caveat that nothing has changed and therefore previous information should apply.

Just called PIP helpline, who thought the whole form should be completed as new. This client feels their mobility and deteriorated, but daily living remains the same. Thoughts?

Thank you.

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

I think you can, but I would be very nervous about doing it. The Case Manager will almost certainly review the entire award and in the absence of any written information on the form, may defer to the previous form (assuming you write “as per previous form” on it). Although ultimately, this may be sorted out by a tribunal, I can foresee all kinds of trouble by doing that.

In time, DWP may relent and enclose a covering letter allowing people to report changes in mobility separately from daily living, but for now, I think the only “safe” option is to complete everything. You may, of course, wish to state that there has been no change. However, remember that the rules for superseding PIP awards give the DWP case manager more licence to review and supersede entitlement, i.e. not needing to show that anything has changed.

The DLA option to ask for one component only to be reviewed was never truly binding on a DM anyway,

Nan
forum member

Generalist team - Hammersmith & Fulham CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 155

That’s v helpful - thanks.

JFSelby
forum member

Benefit caseworker (SDAIN project) - Selby CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 54

Just had a similar experience with a client we are in an area where DLA is in the process of transfering to PIP

Client has been on DLA many years he was getting low care component and mobility and his needs are increasing

about 6 months ago he came to me and we discussed a change of his condition , while it was very clear his needs had increased the proof of this ( extra support and care) had taken longe for the local carers to put in place
He decided at that time to wait till it was clear not only had the need increased but the care had been in place long enough

A few weeks later someone from DLA called him to say he would be transfered to PIP in due course ( not sure why they called him) they told him he could do a letter and they would reconsider his DLA if he wanted it looked at sooner because needs were increased

I did suggest I thought unlikely and this would cause it to go to PIP

in due course a short ’ change of your needs’ form turned up and was filled in

Then a few weeks later a letter with a slightly more detailed letter and short form- duely filled in

Some weeks later a thankyou and a ’ sorry you need to complete this form’ - yes the standard PIP form

PIP form completed by this time 4 sets of full support document, letters, care plans, and evidence had been sent in

Next step an assessment- despite all the evidence and the fact they had all the details

Now waiting on the decision—also when this is in effect from

He also had another letter from DLA about his case being migrated across to PIP in due course