Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Mandatory Recon Outcome Decisions offering appeal rights not being sent to rep

Green
forum member

General adviser, Manchester Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 11

Hello.
For the second time this week I have spoken to DWP chase the outcome of a PIP MR to discover the letters offering appeal rights have been sent to the customer but not me - third party rep. In both cases it was me who requested the MR and sent additional information - when possible. I always include an authority form and request a copy of the decision in the letter.
I have spoken to two different members of staff this week who seem to think this is completely normal. I have several cases where I have received a copy of the outcome letters enabling me to prepare to odge an on-time appeal but the people I have spoken to today believe this is wrong.
Today I was speaking to Blackpool. A team member and supervisor told me they would not send me a copy of the outcome and it is policy not to send a copy of the outcome to anyone else, other than the claimant or the representative - their word for appointee.
My cases are referred by CMHT and I cannot rely on customers contacting me to let me know outcome.

This is clearly another method employed to prevent claimants exercising appeal rights. Very naughty!

I’d suggest regularly checking outcomes for your most vulnerable clients and possibly adapting authority forms / letters to highlight the claimant wants the outcome to be copied to the 3rd party rep.

Yasmin

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

From Working with representatives: guidance for DWP staff

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/working-with-representatives-guidance-for-dwp-staff

Keeping Representatives Informed
Where a representative is helping a customer with a particular piece of business, the representative may ask to be kept informed of progress on the claim, and of decisions made.

Where written authority is held, all possible steps should be taken to inform the representative at the same time as the customer is informed. This is particularly important where notifications are computer-generated.

You can use it in tandem with The Civil Service code

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-code/the-civil-service-code#standards-of-behaviour

Standards of behaviour

Integrity

You must:

...fulfil your duties and obligations responsibly always act in a way that is professional and that deserves and retains the confidence of all those with whom you have dealings

...deal with the public and their affairs fairly, efficiently, promptly, effectively and sensitively

...uphold the administration of justice

Green
forum member

General adviser, Manchester Advice

Send message

Total Posts: 11

Great - thanks for that. I will take this up to respond and complain.