to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

IDS speak..any ideas?

MaggieB
forum member

Dorchester CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 271

Can anyone else understand IDS’s response to a parliamentary question…? is it good news or bad?

Heidi Allen (South Cambridgeshire) (Con): I have a brief question on universal credit, as we continue to roll it out. Is there an opportunity to extend the dedicated telephone line that housing associations enjoy direct to universal credit to citizens advice bureaux, which do an incredible amount of work but are struggling to make contact with the people who can help them?

Mr Duncan Smith: Under universal support, which is delivered locally, we are talking hugely to local authorities and all the local organisations in the area, and my hon. Friend will find that this will be swept up as part of that process; it is a dramatic improvement on where tax credits are right now, because it brings in all those other benefits as well.

Claire Hodgson
forum member

PI Team, BHP Law, Durham

Send message

Total Posts: 165

sounds like gobbledegook to me - not answering the question whilst spouting rubbish….

chacha
forum member

Benefits dept - Hertsmere Borough Council

Send message

Total Posts: 472

Claire Hodgson - 14 January 2016 09:03 AM

sounds like gobbledegook to me - not answering the question whilst spouting rubbish….

Gobbledegook? Awwww, you are just being nice…........ not sure I can say what I think.

seand
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Wheatley Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 302

I don’t think he understood the question, and just gave a random general answer

John Birks
forum member

Welfare Rights and Debt Advice - Stockport Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1064

I think he’s referring to localism.

Maybe?

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Southway Housing Trust, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 628

What is talking “hugely”? Also, this HA doesn’t have a dedicated hotline to UC and never has. We have to deal with the same contact centres as anyone else.

IDS can’t even give a straight answer to a friendly question from a member of his own party. Just shows that lies and obfuscation are his default settings.

[ Edited: 14 Jan 2016 at 01:06 pm by Benny Fitzpatrick ]
Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1966

The secret’s out! He’s a Dada poet, shredding structured language and rational thought in order to destroy the barriers between sense and nonsense in pursuit of an ideal of anti-art.

Either that or Benny is spot-on.

Possibly both.

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

I’m intrigued by ‘talking hugely’ -  perhaps they are going to get Brian Blessed to ring local authorities!

Rehousing Advice.
forum member

Homeless Unit - Southampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 637

MaggieB - 13 January 2016 07:39 PM

Can anyone else understand IDS’s response to a parliamentary question…?

No.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2004

So he’s talking awfully, badly,  filthy, frightfully, mortally, roaringly, spanking, stinking, terribly, wicked and wildly?

seand
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Wheatley Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 302

Benny - what’s your email address? I can send you the UC special number for HA’s. it’s for rent/ housing element type issues rather than welfare rights though

Sean

Paul_Treloar_AgeUK
forum member

Information and advice resources - Age UK

Send message

Total Posts: 3217

This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put.

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 510

UC isn’t delivered locally, is it?

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2004

‘Universal Support – delivered locally’ is the renamed ‘Local Support Services Framework’ . It’s about support for vulnerable people to claim and run their Universal Credit accounts. The aim is for local authorities to provide, with other local partners, such support. There is not, of course, enough money available to do it properly.

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

Gareth Morgan - 19 January 2016 11:44 AM

‘Universal Support – delivered locally’ is the renamed ‘Local Support Services Framework’ . It’s about support for vulnerable people to claim and run their Universal Credit accounts. The aim is for local authorities to provide, with other local partners, such support. There is not, of course, enough money available to do it properly.

Nor does it even indirectly answer the question of whether CAb can have a direct line to UC. Quelle Suprise.

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

Perhaps he means they’ve hired a 50 foot woman to tour the country to talk to LA staff.