From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

IS on sickness grounds

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Think I’m losing the plot. Client receives IB LTHR, and DLA HRM/HRC. Partner receives CB ESA. Can client claim IS top-up (they would qualify) or does it have to be IR ESA in partner’s name? Thought they could, now think they can’t. Help…

forum member

Send message

Think I’ve answered my own question- yes, client can claim IS. Had a horrible moment of doubt…

Sorry all!

forum member

Send message

Thanks- that was one of the things that was worrying me. I couldn’t remember whether the change had happened or was about to and then couldn’t find the references. Was concerned I had misadvised client and was mightily relieved to confirm I hadn’t.

Thing is, this is one of those cases where IR ESA wouldn’t be payable as income is too high based on ESA applicable amount (lack of DP). I wonder how many potential claimants will forever have missed out on IS entitlement? (espcially as this was one of those cases where client tried to claim IS via contact centre and was told he couldn’t).

grant
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 71

end of a long day so maybe I’ve missed something but can’t partner claim as carer and get carer’s premium too with IS?

forum member

Send message

Hi Grant,

Yes she can and I’ve been trying to pursuade her to do just that but for various complicated reasons she is reluctant to do so at present.

LucyS
forum member

Welfare Benefits Caseworker, Mary Ward Legal Centre

Send message

Total Posts: 8

Hi,

There’s a useful summary of the transitional provisions re IB/ESA migration due to take effect from 31.1.11 in latest WRB (Dec 2010 edition).

Lucy.