to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

universal credit identity issues

lost in Granite
forum member

Training and Appeals team, glasgow city council welfare rights

Send message

Total Posts: 72

a number of our service users have been experiencing difficulties with the ID requirements when making claims for UC. At a recent event a colleague was advised that those who don’t have the necessary id may get still qualify if they can satisfy a “geographic test”.

We didn’t get much more information than that and I was wondering,

Is this for real?, if it is
Does anyone know what it is?, and
Can anyone describe the substance of this test?
lastly, can anyone point me in the direction of were to find were it is written down?

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

Not heard of a ‘geographic’ test although I did a FOI a while back about photo ID and the answer referred to ‘biographical security questions’:

“In circumstances where UC claimants cannot produce sufficient or original identity documents
their identity can still be verified and a decision made on the information provided. We will
consider the documentation the claimant does have, and whether the explanation given for not
being able to provide any of the documents listed in the guidance is considered to be
reasonable in the circumstances (for example, fled due to domestic violence or documents
destroyed by fire). These circumstances should not be confused with those where the
customer has simply forgotten to provide documentation, which they are able to obtain and
provide later. The requirement to provide documentation will not be waived where it is known
that it can be provided. In addition biographical security questions and/or checks will be used
where there is no documentation and the claimant cannot obtain it.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/photo_id_for_universal_credit#incoming-638477

SarahJBatty
forum member

Money Adviser, Thirteen, Middlesbrough

Send message

Total Posts: 345

Thanks for posting this Billy.  Have just passed this onto colleagues.  Forewarned is forearmed ....