to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

No PIP2. Your experience

MikeMay
forum member

Advice Session Superviser, Citizens Advice North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 28

I have had a couple of clients now who were never sent the form but were passed straight to medical services where they were naturally awarded 0 points and asked closed questions. This means that they were never afforded the opportunity to demonstrate how their disability affects them. Although we are used to the DM preferring HCP evidence over the application, this seems a step too far. Has anybody else experienced this and if so is it in relation to a particular type of health condition. In the cases I’ve seen it’s been serious mental health issues?

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

I may be completely wrong but I understood that sending out the PIP2 was pretty much an automated process done as part of processing the initial phone call to claim PIP. Could it be that actually they were sent out but not completed and returned by the claimants?

If that was the case it may be that claimants were already identified as having Additional Support Needs and therefore a consultation was arranged despite the PIP2 not being completed. This would fit with the serious mental health aspect. See this thread - http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/7842/

Thinking about it, I suppose that if DWP took the decision that the claimants had Additional Support Needs from the initial phone call to claim it may have actively bypassed sending out the PIP2 and just gone straight to the consultation. As you say, that seems a bit of a step too far and denied your clients the opportunity to express their problems in their own ways without their answers becoming Atos-ised.

MikeMay
forum member

Send message

Went to tribunal with a rep from DWP. Seemingly not essential. They would have just killed the claim anyway if not returned I think

MikeMay
forum member

Send message

Although I’m really just researching how common this issue is

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

In cases with vulnerable people if they don’t get the PIP2 back they will go straight to assessment; I’ve seen a couple of cases where that’s happened.

The PIP 2 is automatically issued; the first human hand to touch it is the postie, much like Tax Credits. Of course the postie is not so reliable these days.

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

Not heard, but I have heard of PIP2 forms unreturned and requirement to return waived.