to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Work capability issues and ESA  →  Thread

confusing letter following award of ESA pending appeal

AndreaM
forum member

Debt team - Citizens Advice Southwark

Send message

Total Posts: 123

My client was claiming JSA during MR period and then eventually got her ESA reinstated and started to receive some payments into her account.
And then she came to me and showed me the attached letter. ( I have left out the personal details but have not taken out any of the content). 
Letter seems to say that her ESA has been stopped but that she has been placed in the work related activity group and will get extra money for this.
Phoned up JCP with client who explained that even though her ESA claim had been reinstated, this letter had to be sent to close her old claim and that she will get another letter confirming ESA @ assessment rate award.
Does this mean everyone gets this confusing letter, or was this just an isolated case.

File Attachments

Jane OP
forum member

The National Autistic Society, Welfare Rights, Nottingham

Send message

Total Posts: 161

I think it’s an example of a computer generated letter gone wrong. I’ve no idea what system they use but I believe that they enter certain info and tick certain boxes and that is supposed to generate the letter and determine which lines and what dates are included. I saw one once that had every possible line included, it said that the person both was and wasn’t entitled to ESA for every imaginable reason.

Jane