to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Wake up and smell the coffee

Paul_Treloar_CPAG
forum member

Advice and Rights Team, Child Poverty Action Group

Send message

Total Posts: 550

This may look like an ordinary coffee cup. But the innocent-looking container could soon become a potent new weapon in the fight against criminals, fraudsters and enemy spies.

The plastic lid is similar to those handed out by coffee chain giants, such as Starbucks and Costa. The lid, which looks like it could have been devised by James Bond’s gadget guru Q, has been created by Bodmin-based LawMate UK.

Inside, it is fitted with hi-definition filming equipment and an eavesdropping device that can listen in and record conversations, even in a room full of people. Investigators will be able to use the device to gather crucial evidence, and can activate it by pressing the letter H – which stands for Hot – on the lid.

LawMate already has an impressive track record with the Ministry of Defence - their key fob voice recorders and buttonhole cameras have been used by them over the last ten years..

More recently, the Department for Work and Pensions has used the devices to tackle the rising number of benefit fraud cases.

Mine’s a double cappafrappuccino…..

Bodmin firm makes spying coffee cup lid worthy of James Bond

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3135

Looks like that supersedes my microphones in muffins idea.  And I had such high hopes.  This time next year I was going to be a millionaire.

[ Edited: 29 Sep 2015 at 02:05 pm by shawn mach ]
Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 556

Paul_Treloar_CPAG - 29 September 2015 12:08 PM

This may look like an ordinary coffee cup. But the innocent-looking container could soon become a potent new weapon in the fight against criminals, fraudsters and enemy spies.

The plastic lid is similar to those handed out by coffee chain giants, such as Starbucks and Costa. The lid, which looks like it could have been devised by James Bond’s gadget guru Q, has been created by Bodmin-based LawMate UK.

Inside, it is fitted with hi-definition filming equipment and an eavesdropping device that can listen in and record conversations, even in a room full of people. Investigators will be able to use the device to gather crucial evidence, and can activate it by pressing the letter H – which stands for Hot – on the lid.

LawMate already has an impressive track record with the Ministry of Defence - their key fob voice recorders and buttonhole cameras have been used by them over the last ten years..

More recently, the Department for Work and Pensions has used the devices to tackle the rising number of benefit fraud cases.

Mine’s a double cappafrappuccino…..

Bodmin firm makes spying coffee cup lid worthy of James Bond

That explains why there are so many people just standing around building sites with cups of coffee, they aren’t just lazy , they are JSA investigators trying spot people working while claiming

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

No, no, they’re the people who sit in garden centre and other coffee shops for hours nursing a single cup - evesdroping on all those Pension Credit claimants who have failed to declare an occupational pension!

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

Peter Turville - 29 September 2015 01:26 PM

No, no, they’re the people who sit in garden centre and other coffee shops for hours nursing a single cup - evesdroping on all those Pension Credit claimants who have failed to declare an occupational pension!

We have a Costa in our building and I’m now getting paranoid every time someone walks through the office with a coffee cup!

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

The sort of thread that makes you do a double take.

Won’t ever use a coffee machine at one of their liaison meetings ever again.

On a lighter note, my mate has taken to seeing how far he can take this Starbucks nonsense of asking your name so it can be put on your cup. He and his wife have taken to becoming famous couples - Bonnie and Clyde, Sid and Nancy, Laurel and Hardy, Kurt and Courtney, Ted and Sylvia, Becks and Posh and so on. I must say it appeals immensely.

Pete C
forum member

Pete at CAB

Send message

What about three welfs going into Starbucks and being Ian, Duncan and Smith- somone’s got to do it!

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

I feel a competition coming on. Photographic evidence required.

Something involving David, Cameron and, er, something else perhaps?