to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

PIP failure to attend medical and Tribunals power

LF
forum member

New Gorbals Housing Association

Send message

Total Posts: 59

I understand it is only a Judge who would decide if there is good cause for non-attendance at a medical for PIP, but if good cause was accepted, could the Judge with a then properly constituted tribunal then go on to decide on the merits of the case?
If they can under what regulation can they do this?
My DWP submission for a PIP appeal suggests they can and should do this but no corresponding law quoted to back this up.

Thanks for any help

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3553

I only have experience of the equivalent in ESA but, in my view, no they can’t. The papers will only address the good cause issue not evidence relating to whether they meet the descriptors and they won’t have the required tribunal members to hand. It just goes back to the DWP to progress the case.

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

If this is what DWP are arguing it might be worth making an application to HMCTS for a judge to direct DWP to provide a further submission setting out the leagl basis for their submission on this point. It would be very interesting to see their response!

Dan_Manville
forum member

Mental health & welfare rights service - Wolverhampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 2262

With the medical evidence available to me, if there was a copy o the claim form in the papers I’d jump at the chance to dispose of the claim completely.

What legal basis is there for denying their jurisdiction? The outcome decision is that claimant is not entitled; that’s the issue against which the appeal lies.