From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Income support, JSA and tax credits  →  Thread

Income Support & problem with contact centre

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Grrrr- rant coming on. Have had three clients in close succession who have had problems with contact centre when attempting to claim IS.

Client A- was receiving IB and failed PCA. Appealed and I advised her to claim IS (reduced rate) pending appeal. Contact centre told her she couldn’t claim IS and must claim ESA. Inevitably, they wouldn’t pay her pending WCA which she subsequently failed.

Client B- is receiving CB ESA with u/e to CA. Husband on LTHR IB and DLA HRM/HRC. Advised husband makes IS claim (top up). Contact centre refused to let him on the grounds than client receives ESA and therefore ‘they won’t qualify’.

Client C- again, was receiving IB but failed PCA and appealed. Is living with (and caring for) elderly father, who receives AA. On my advice, claimed CA and IS top up. Contact centre again insisted that she must claim ESA.

In all three cases I have had to request clerical IS claim forms from local office and submit backdate requests. It’s beginning to seriously get on my wick. Is anyone else experiencing similar problems?

Nicky
forum member

Supervisor Welfare Benefits, Barrow-in-Furness, Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 239

No probs with IS yet but with the contact centre yes.

Client attempts to claim contribution based ESA once SSP ends and told he can’t as he’s still getting contractual sick pay.

I’d love to be able to swear on here sometimes :)