to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Other benefit issues  →  Thread

Interview under caution

seand
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Wheatley Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 302

A client has been invited to attend a DWP interview under caution, but she has no idea what it might be about. She tried calling to find out more, but they wouldn’t tell her anything.

Is this correct? Can she not be told which benefit she has allegedly claimed fraudulently

(and I have suggested she get criminal legal advice)

Jon (CANY)
forum member

Welfare benefits - Craven CAB, North Yorkshire

Send message

Total Posts: 1362

I suspect this is a question for the legally qualified adviser. There is a previous thread here, which discusses the PACE requirements. That Act itself does not apply in Scotland, but failure to follow the PACE Code of Practice could be relevant to the Scottish ‘test of fairness’. Though this is getting far beyond my area of competence.

Out of interest, on page 525 of this large document, there is some guidance on disclosure prior to the interview for England and Wales, but just skimming through I can’t see an equivalent for Scotland:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/286748/fraud-guide-mar-14.pdf

bigbill
forum member

Dumfries Welfare Rights

Send message

Total Posts: 127

I’m sure if you give them a call they will tell you, never refused to say when I have called anyways.

Colin Hannon
forum member

Sustain - Helena Partnerships

Send message

Total Posts: 22

Hi , I have never been refused details of the alleged fraud failure to provide this important information would defer any IUC

MMiah
forum member

Benefits Department, Crystal Law Solicitors, Leicester

Send message

Total Posts: 50

This is often the technique adopted by some interviewing officers which ensures the element of surprise/shock and early admissions of guilt. 

Your client, depending on circumstances may qualify for legal aid and can access the assistance of a Solicitor/legal professional.

In the past, in similar circumstances, I have found the DWP to be forthcoming with disclosure once Solicitor’s are involved. 

ikbikb
forum member

LSD WB supervisor - Bury District CAB, Lancashire

Send message

Total Posts: 146

Our information system states reIUC
‘If a client knows s/he is to be interviewed under caution, you should refer her/him to a criminal law solicitor…. A client may believe that s/he can attend an interview alone and explain matters. This is usually risky because the client may inadvertently admit to offences s/he does not realise s/he has committed.’