to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Kidney Failure for 72 year old

Judith Deen
forum member

Merthyr Valleys Homes, Merthyr Tydfil

Send message

Total Posts: 10

I have a 72 year old tenant who is having DLA HR mobility since 1997.  She now has kidney failure and is quite unwell.  As she wasnt awarded DLA care in 1997 is there anything I can do for care to be awarded now or indeed AA.

Paul_Treloar_CPAG
forum member

Advice and Rights Team, Child Poverty Action Group

Send message

Total Posts: 550

See.p605-606 of the WBH 2015/16 for an overarching explanation (although I have to say, I don’t think it answers your precise question).

You need para.7 of sch.1 of the Social Security (Disability Living Allowance) Regulations 1991 which holds that:

Award of care component where person entitled to mobility component

7.—(1) This paragraph applies where a person on or after attaining the age of 65 is entitled to the mobility component and–

(a)an adjudicating authority is satisfied that the decision giving effect to that entitlement ought to be revised under section 9 of the 1998 Act or superseded under section 10 of that Act, or

(b)the person makes a renewal claim for disability living allowance.

(2) A person to whom this paragraph applies shall not be precluded solely by reason of the fact that he has attained the age of 65 from entitlement under section 72(3) of the Act by virtue of having satisfied either the conditions mentioned in subsection (1)(b) or in subsection (1)(c), or in both those subsections, but in determining a person’s entitlement, section 72 of the Act shall have effect as if in paragraph (a) of subsection (2) of that section, for the reference to 3 months there was substituted a reference to 6 months and paragraph (b) of that subsection were omitted.

So yes she can request a supersession on change of circumstances, and if she meets the conditions, can qualify for middle or high rate care component but she’ll have to satisfy a 6-month qualifying period, in line with AA rules of entitlement. Don’t forget to also highlight that the whole DLA award can be rexamined, so you want to make sure there is still good evidence for the mobility component.

Brian JB
forum member

Advisor - Wirral Welfare Rights Unit, Birkenhead

Send message

Total Posts: 472

You can apply to the DWP for a supersession of the decision to award DLA, on the basis that there has been a relevant change of circmustances (a worsening of her health leading to an increase in care needs). There could be a risk to her HR mobility but, if her walking is severely resricted, you would hope the risk is pretty low. As she is entitled to DLA anyway, she cannot claim AA separately - she will be looking to alter her DLA award