Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

PIP - sometimes things do work as they should.

past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser - Southwark Law Centre, Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 1125

PIP claim sent in 1/6/2015. Client diagnosed with cancer and this affecting both mobility and daily living. Expressly not a special rules claim, but on the basis of what client said to me, it appeared a real possibility that the condition might be life limiting. So asked for an expedited medical assessment and decision in covering letter sent with claim.

Returned from annual leave today to find 7/7/2015 decision awarding enhanced rate of both components.

Posted for info purposes - it’s clearly worth doing this kind of thing as it does sometimes get acknowledged with appropriate action on the other end.

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

I’ve had a couple of claims recently which were bog-standard but assessed and decided within 6 weeks. I didn’t ask for an expedited assesment, either. I wonder what’s going on in Atos at the moment.

Peter Turville
forum member

Welfare rights worker - Oxford Community Work Agency

Send message

Total Posts: 1659

Edmund Shepherd - 16 July 2015 04:44 PM

I’ve had a couple of claims recently which were bog-standard but assessed and decided within 6 weeks. I didn’t ask for an expedited assesment, either. I wonder what’s going on in Atos at the moment.

Did you clients attend a f2f or where the decisions made following ‘scrutiny’? It would appear DWP is ‘cutting corners’ to reduce the delay and determining an increased number of claims based on the paper evidence and HCP scrutiny opinion only.

Now wasn’t one of the key policy arguments for introducing PIP that DLA did not routinely involve a f2f assessment (since the abolition of routine EMP visits some years back)? what goes around comes around!

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

Peter Turville - 17 July 2015 10:10 AM

Did you clients attend a f2f or where the decisions made following ‘scrutiny’?

Yes, complete with face to face assessment. Possibly a one-off, possibly not. I can’t keep up.