to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

Food Bank referrals from Jobcentre Plus

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Southway Housing Trust, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 628

Just seen a client with a formal referral to a local foodbank, issued by JCP, due to a UC sanction (failure to show 35 hrs/week “actively seeking work”, and refusal of Hardship Payments.

I’m sure previous posts on here, and the “official line” from JCP was that they didn’t make referrals to food banks.

Well, not only do they make these referrals, but they have an official form for doing so!

Has there been a change of policy?

Andrew Dutton
forum member

Welfare rights service - Derbyshire County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 1966

As a matter of interest, what was the reason given for refusing hardship payments?

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Southway Housing Trust, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 628

Apparently, according to Cl,  her Personal Adviser has delusions that he is a DM, and refused to accept her application on the grounds that she “doesn’t meet the criteria”!!!!!!!!! Needless to say, he wasn’t able to explain in what way she “doesn’t meet the criteria”!!!

Unfortunately, Cl is lacking in confidence so didn’t complain, just accepted the foodbank voucher. I have advised her to get the name of the adviser concerned, because I WILL be complaining to JCP and passing the matter on to client’s MP.

Robbie Spence
forum member

Independent benefits adviser and trainer

Send message

Total Posts: 116

Benny Fitzpatrick - 29 June 2015 11:17 AM

I’m sure previous posts on here, and the “official line” from JCP was that they didn’t make referrals to food banks. ... Has there been a change of policy?

Benny, this reply isn’t about hardship payments, but about short-term benefit advances (STBAs). The DWP guidance manual for Benefit Centres staff about STBAs (see links on the right hand side of http://www.cpag.org.uk/stba/keyfacts) states:

Sources of help and support
3. Depending on the claimant’s circumstances, direct them to the appropriate source of help and support in the following order:
- Pay benefit if due – always pay benefit, before considering an STBA - an STBA should be considered only in the following circumstances (omitted)
- Other DWP support, e.g. Social Fund (SF) (see information at Customer Service A-Z and guidance on Budgeting Loans)
- Local help and support available in their area – using the District Provision Tool deal with the enquiry according to current local arrangements, advise the claimant about the local help and support in their area and how to access it.

I guess foodbanks ought to be in the DWP District Provision Tool list of local help and support.  I’d be glad to hear if anyone knows more about the DWP District Provision Tool and if the local help and support includes foodbanks.