to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Universal credit administration  →  Thread

UC ‘practice’ claim

MaggieB
forum member

Dorchester CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 271

Someone posted a link to make a “practice”  online claim to see what was required
I’ve looked through all the UC discussion but can’t find it, Can anyone point me the right direction please
thanks

FIT Advisor
forum member

benefit advice officer, three rivers housing association, co durham

Send message

Total Posts: 144

Sure you can go through a claim on line on Gov website - just don’t submit it. Might be some restrictions though. I will be doing it as part of a meeting on Wednesday so can update if necessary.

Paul_Treloar_CPAG
forum member

Advice and Rights Team, Child Poverty Action Group

Send message

Total Posts: 550

Apply for Universal Credit

It’s not a practice site, it’s the real thing, but if you have an NI number and you enter an appropriate post code under the “If you live elsewhere” button, then you can go through the online claim process. Just make sure you don’t press submit at the end.

MaggieB
forum member

Dorchester CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 271

Glad it wasn’t for real,  I got to the same stage twice (accepting the address) and the system gave an error stating the page was no longer available and to try again later!
I can imagine how annoying that would be after booking a slot on the library computer after an hour journey from somewhere in rural Dorset.  I just had a short rant at my colleagues and carried on with my work…

Paul_Treloar_CPAG
forum member

Advice and Rights Team, Child Poverty Action Group

Send message

Total Posts: 550

MaggieB - 02 June 2015 08:53 PM

Glad it wasn’t for real,  I got to the same stage twice (accepting the address) and the system gave an error stating the page was no longer available and to try again later!
I can imagine how annoying that would be after booking a slot on the library computer after an hour journey from somewhere in rural Dorset.  I just had a short rant at my colleagues and carried on with my work…

At the last OSEF meeting, we were told that there are no plans to improve this portal, as the expectation is that the new digital service will be fully operational at some point in around 12 months from now and that is promised to be much more user friendly. To be fair to the person from DWP who gave the demonstration, there was an acknowledgement that the current service is pretty rudimentary and could be much better i.e. having a save function, but from an operational perspective, I can see the sense in trying to ensure that attention is focused on the new full digital portal to make that as good as can be. Let’s hope they’re proved right.

juliem
forum member

Macmillan welfare rights advisor - Barnsley MBC, Barnsley

Send message

Total Posts: 125

MaggieB - 02 June 2015 08:53 PM

When we were practicing/playing at making claims, it threw us out frequently at that stage or sometimes later. We have had a small number of claimants who have come to us to help make the application who have also had the message “try again later” and we had to book them in the next day’s UC slot.    At least they have Welfare Rights to back them up when they ask for a backdate due to DWP’s technical failings - others won’t.

FIT Advisor
forum member

benefit advice officer, three rivers housing association, co durham

Send message

Total Posts: 144

At the demo I attended it was via the main UC site but using a ‘dummy’ NI and a postcode that has UC live. You have to remember to give answers that fit with the gateway or it won’t progress including making sure the age confirmation is that you are between 18 years and 60yrs 6 months. Worth noting when it is a proper claim, it is not possible to correct the information after submission and there are financial penalties that can be applied to incorrect information, similar to existing penalties. Let us know how you get on when you are assisting in a ‘proper’ claim.  It is essential that all the information is to hand as the form is completed, it won’t be saved to come back to and if customer indicates they can’t confirm it may be why they are asked to ‘try again later’.

[ Edited: 3 Jun 2015 at 04:04 pm by FIT Advisor ]
Euan
forum member

Welfare rights - Social Work Services, Glasgow

Send message

Total Posts: 5

Dummy claim details to see how UC online claim process works.

Go to:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-universal-credit

please use the following details:

NI no: AB 00 00 01 A
Postcode: OL6 6BJ

Benny Fitzpatrick
forum member

Welfare Rights Officer, Southway Housing Trust, Manchester

Send message

Total Posts: 628

UC processing centres at Bolton and Glasgow are on strike today.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

Just resurrecting this prior to us going Full Meltdown. I believe the orginal dummy application process was posted on here and was done by a company called We Are Digital. There is a post on the GMWRAG web site which references it as it seemed like an excellent idea but appears to have since been taken down. So…

1) Anyone know of an equivalent where you can claim and then see a version of the journal?
2) Is it the case that you can still go through the live process to test out the application element?

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3549

Not quite the same Mike - but this youtube video at least gives you an idea of what all the screens look like - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WgJU8Y_bQg&t=520s

I have done a dummy claim myself but without clicking the submit button - but all you see there are the claim pages and a to do list of which pages you haven’t completed - and emails to remind you to finish the claim!

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Thanks Daphne. Had seen that. There’s a real opportunity here for someone to step up on the training front and talk people through the journal and associated issues.

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3782

Mike Hughes - 19 September 2018 03:10 PM

Just resurrecting this prior to us going Full Meltdown. I believe the orginal dummy application process was posted on here and was done by a company called We Are Digital. There is a post on the GMWRAG web site which references it as it seemed like an excellent idea but appears to have since been taken down. ....

Here you go: https://www.we-are-digital.co.uk/universal-credit-online/

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Cheers Shawn but what the heck. Don’t understand why I couldn’t find that link. Cheers.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3549

Tried it - you don’t get very far - enter your details and it says it will send you the email code - but then it doesn’t and when you click that you haven’t received it, it tells you that’s because it’s a practice one! So you don’t even get as far a filling the claim. You can get further on the real claim without clicking submit…

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Daphne - 20 September 2018 08:49 AM

Tried it - you don’t get very far - enter your details and it says it will send you the email code - but then it doesn’t and when you click that you haven’t received it, it tells you that’s because it’s a practice one! So you don’t even get as far a filling the claim. You can get further on the real claim without clicking submit…

To be fair, there’s a certain element of realism in there :)

I’d like to think that someone will be bright enough to create an end to end dummy of the real thing as it could be so useful for digital support. If not DWP (and let’s face it, probably not DWP) then maybe someone here.

davidsmithp1000
forum member

Brighton Unemployed Centre Families Project

Send message

Total Posts: 195

Hi Daphne, did you say you’d asked the stakeholders about demonstration versions for both the application process and live claims? we’d be keen on hearing about any feedback. Thanks - https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/228834

Mike Hughes
forum member

Send message

Ooh, finally a petition it might be worth signing.