nigelb

scabureau
forum member

Scunthorpe & District Citizens Advice Bureau

Send message

Total Posts: 3

Hi there all

i wonder if anyone can help
i have a client who has been subscribed to the new universal credit. Doing the calculation on QBC the applicable amount seems to be correct as in standard allowance £317.82 and housing allowance of £311.00 total = £628.82.

The issue is that the client seems to have asked for an advance of £300? where this is being clawed back at £57.00 per month. The client has asked for alternitive payment arrangements ot the landlord which is a social housing provider. From this the housing assoc has contacted UC and asked that because the client is over 2 months in arrears =£1077.60 that a direct deduction be made from their benefit to the landlord. Thgis has been agreed by UC and a deduction of 20% is being made from the standard allowance ellement of £317.82.

regarding this of the £317.82. 
£57.00? is being deducted and then £63.56 deducted to the landlord totaling £120.56 approx In relation to this according tothe calculation this leaves the client between £45 and £45.50 per week ot live on and rthis does not take into consideration the amount of 30% now taken by barnsley council which is probably another £5.00 +.

My point is after the ramble that we have contacted UC to ask if the deduction can be reduced as the client is facing significant financial hardship but there seems to be no movement on this.

Under the old rules of housing benefit and direct deductions this would have been about £5.00 per week roughly £20/£25 per month which is significantly less than UC rates.

Can anyone shed any light on a) is this right for UC and b) can this be challenged.

I cant find anything ot help.

please please can anyone help

much appreciated and thank you in anticiptation

kind regards

Nigel