to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Cannot make any budgeting decisions at all

Mr Finch
forum member

Benefits adviser - Isle of Wight CAB

Send message

Total Posts: 510

In this thread I thought ‘cannot at all’ probably meant ‘cannot even with prompting or assistance’.

But in the top descriptor for budgeting, there is also the sudden absence of ‘simple’ and ‘complex’, so a person has to be unable to ‘make any budgeting decisions at all’.

Given that someone has gone to a lot of trouble to carefully define ‘simple’ and ‘complex’ decisions, it seems surprising that there is no definition of ‘budgeting decisions’ without either of those qualifiers.

If I have a client who cannot make simple budgeting decisions (as defined) even with prompting or assistance, since he can’t calculate, can I argue he therefore meets 6(d)? Or can a decision maker look at ‘budgeting decisions’ that are even simpler than the simplest example in the definition, such as deciding to make a small purchase but without being able to calculate the cost?

past caring
forum member

Welfare Rights Adviser - Southwark Law Centre, Peckham

Send message

Total Posts: 1125

I think words have to be read into the descriptor - i.e. as if it said ‘cannot make any of the budgeting decisions listed in a), b) or c) above’.