to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Decision making and appeals  →  Thread

Appeal struck out- what can we do?

SarahP
forum member

Derby Advice - Derby Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 28

Client approached us for help with a tax credits appeal last October.

Client had made the appeal late but a judge had looked at it and agreed to allow appeal to continue. HMRC produced submission which, as well as addressing the issue under appeal (living together decision), contained a statment making it clear they disagreed with the decision to accept out of time.

I entered a submission regarding the living together issue.

Appeal hearing date was given for December 2014. The judge postponed the hearing, directing the case back to the judge who had looked at it before to ask him to reconsider whether appeal should be allowed given that HMRC stated intention to appeal to UT if appeal allowed!

I entered another submission setting out arguments why appeal should be accepted as made in time.

Judge gives further directions giving both sides more time to comment. Further submissions back and forth re living together issue.

On 16 March client was sent 2 letter by the tribunal service. Both from the same clerk. Both with same reference. 1st said that consideration being given to striking out and to reply within a month if object. 2nd says appeal is struck out. I phoned Tribunal Service and they said that appeal has been struck out because no power to extend time limit.

CLient wants to continue with appeal. Is there any action I can take?

Many thanks in advance for any comments.

AdviceShop
forum member

Advice shop - West Lothian Council

Send message

Total Posts: 85

Hi Sarah

I found this and it might be helpful. Worth a try.

Peter

File Attachments

SarahP
forum member

Derby Advice - Derby Homes

Send message

Total Posts: 28

Thank you for that. It’s not looking great for my lady!

Brian JB
forum member

Advisor - Wirral Welfare Rights Unit, Birkenhead

Send message

Total Posts: 472

The law has been changed since JI vs HMRC, and Judge Rowland madea further decision following that change - see http://www.osscsc.gov.uk/Aspx/view.aspx?id=4432

This doesn’t necessarily help as the circumstances may well be different here

When was the tax credit MR decision notified, and when was the appeal lodged?

PCLC
forum member

Benefits Supervisor - Plumstead Law Centre, London

Send message

Total Posts: 240

First I would say that once a first-tier Judge had accepted the appeal as late, if HMRC did not like that decision they should have appealed it to the UT - you can do this.

So that should have been that, surely? I don’t see what power the second Judge had to refer it back to the first Judge for a second bite….

Second, it is procedurally quite wrong to invite representations on a proposed strike out and strike it out on the same day without receiving the representations.- its Rule8 (4) - and you can appeal that in the same way i.e. seek leave to appeal to the first-tier within one month. As part of that application I would raise the issue of the second Judge referring it back to the first Judge, and question what power the Tribunal had to do that under the procedure rules? (subject to what anyone else thinks?).

Finally, assuming your client has a decent prospect of success, CPAG advised me on potentially challenging a refusal to admit an out of time tax credits appeal - this is an appealable decision on its own. You request leave to appeal from the first-tier Tribunal in the normal way and you do not need an SOR. first. I did not take this further as I thought in my case that the ultimate prospects of success were quite weak Also any such challenge will go all the way so you need to consider who is going to argue this before the UT as it would have far reaching implications for all late tax credit appeals.

I will post the submission separately as its too big for one post!

PCLC
forum member

Benefits Supervisor - Plumstead Law Centre, London

Send message

Total Posts: 240

CPAG submission on seeking leave to appeal to first-tier Tribunal against refusal to admit late tax credits appeal.

File Attachments

Martin Williams
forum member

Welfare rights advisor - CPAG, London

Send message

Total Posts: 770

Just to be clear- I think this argument is wrong in as much as it says that JI is not binding on the issue- closer reading suggests that it is.  Sorry- I need to put an amendment on our webpage making this clear….

Please also see Mike Spencer’s (much better…) additional arguments as to why JI is wrong here:

http://www.cpag.org.uk/content/still-better-late-never

Please also note that practically if the FTT strike out an appeal on grounds of lack of jurisdiction:

1. They should not do this unless they have first given you an opportunity to comment.

2. There is a right of appeal to the UT on this issue.

3. It may be the case that you don’t have a right to request a statement of reasons in such cases as arguably the proceedings have not begun and such a right only applies to a decision bringing proceedings to an end.

CPAG are interested in testcases on this area- see the email address here: http://www.cpag.org.uk/test-case-referrals

Martin