to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

Upper Tribunal decides that Moyna doesn’t apply to PIP

Ros
Administrator

editor, rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 1323

Thanks very much to Danny McKenzie of Jacqueline Doyle & Co solicitors for sending us a copy of Judge Gamble’s decision in CSPIP/754/2014 (first PIP UT decision I’ve seen!) finding that variability test in Moyna, extended by RDLA/5/05, has been replaced by the 50 per cent rule for variability in reg 7 of the Personal Independence Payment Regulations 2013 -

[ Edited: 2 Apr 2015 at 01:57 pm by shawn mach ]

File Attachments

NeverSayNo
forum member

Welfare rights department - Northumberland County Council

Send message

Total Posts: 195

It is nice to have this confirmed.

In the (so far) only PIP appeal I have had the carer member was asking my client about a “typical day” - (“Oh you know, not your best day, not your worst, but something that happens more often than not”).

I referred to the “50 percent” rule from the regulations arguing a tribunal must take in to account worst days, as well as other days, because any day on which some points can be scored counts towards getting over 50% of days in the relevant period.

I think this was lost on the tribunal judge whose conclusion was simply that asking about someone’s needs in terms of their “typical day” was merely a way of getting information out of them. Well, some information perhaps, but not all that is required for this test!

Strangely, this discussion and the judge’s opinion does not appear in the full statement of reasons…....

shawn mach
Administrator

rightsnet.org.uk

Send message

Total Posts: 3782

CSPIP/754/2014 has now been added to the Tribunal Service website and a summary is now available in the welfare rights case law area of rightsnet

http://www.osscsc.gov.uk/Aspx/view.aspx?id=4460

http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/welfare-rights/caselaw/item/whether-the-broad-brush-approach-established-in-moyna-applies-to-decisions