Search options

Where

Benefit

Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction

From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

DLA - aged 80 years and only receiving high rate mobility rate - no care included

Nicola Hersh
forum member

Freelance benefits consultant, London

Send message

Total Posts: 106

Can someone aged 80 receiving DLA high rate mobility only, apply for the care element of DLA?

Is it just the low rate of care that they can’t apply for, but is it possible to apply for middle or high rate care?

Would they be best to ignore the mobility section on the review form (as their mobility needs have not changed,) and just fill in the care section?

Is there a risk they could lose existing DLA?

Can I assume PIP doesn’t come into this?

I am sorry if this seems very simple but I have a lot of conflicting information.

Thanks

Tom H
forum member

Newcastle Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 783

MRC or HRC available.  PIP n/a as she was over 65 on 8/4/13.  Always a risk that existing DLA award could be adversely affected but probably tiny here.  Putting “no improvement in needs” or such like is fine for mob question.  Needs to have had care needs 6 months before payment (ie same qualifying condition as AA).

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

I agree with Tom. Standard risks of reviewing a DLA claim for someone over 65, so check she still meets the HRM criteria. LRC cannot be awarded due to her age unless the needs started before she turned 65.

Nicola Hersh
forum member

Freelance benefits consultant, London

Send message

Total Posts: 106

Thanks for your reply