to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Foster carer and bedromms

nevip
forum member

Welfare rights adviser - Sefton Council, Liverpool

Send message

Total Posts: 3137

Quick question as I’ve not had time to check the legislation.  Single parent, 6 yo old child and one foster child 5 months old, private landlord.  2 bedrooms allowed or 3?  Has been told that the foster child should have a room of his own.  I’m uncertain.

Paul_Treloar_CPAG
forum member

Advice and Rights Team, Child Poverty Action Group

Send message

Total Posts: 550

Reg.21(3) HB Regs precludes children placed with claimant under sec.23(2)(a) Children Act 1989 or by a voluntary organisation under sec.59(1)(a) of that Act from being counted as occupying the claimant’s dwelling.

However, Findlay commentary also goes onto say that someone who satisfies the conditions of being a “qualifying parent or carer” under reg.2 HB Regs can qualify for one extra bedroom under reg.13D(3A)(a) if they have a child placed with them as a foster parent or kinship carer. The regulation 2 wording actually says:

““qualifying parent or carer” means a person who has a bedroom in the dwelling they occupy as their home additional to those used by the persons who occupy the dwelling as their home and who—

(a) has a child or qualifying young person placed with them as mentioned in regulation 21(3) who by virtue of that provision is not treated as occupying their dwelling; or
(b) has been approved as a foster parent under regulation 27 of the Fostering Services (England) Regulations 2011(a) or regulation 28 of the Fostering Services (Wales) Regulations 2003(b) or as a kinship carer under regulation 10 or a foster carer under regulation 22 of the Looked After Children (Scotland) Regulations 2009(c) but does not have a child or qualifying young person placed with them and has not had a child or qualifying young person placed with them for a period which does not exceed 52 weeks;”.

I’ve checked the Shelter guide and it says the same thing as does our Handbook, see pages 396/7. So it appears possible, but I’d hesitate from being definitive, as I find the dichotomy slightly confusing Paul.

nevip
forum member

Send message

Thanks Paul

Now had time to check the regs and it does seem possible.

tony pickering
forum member

Welfare rights officer - Derbyshire County Council, High Peak

Send message

Total Posts: 108

My understanding is that it is 3 bedrooms.

Foster children are not included in the general assessment for HB purposes but foster carers have an extra room allocated for bedroom tax purposes - only one mind however many children fostered!  It is not really the fostered child that is the issue but the fact of fostering in the prescribed circumstances.  I think that is the nature of the apparent dichotomy.

Tony

nevip
forum member

Send message

Thanks Tony

Review underway