Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

HB for couple : one a student??

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

Its friday and my head hurts!

I have a couple who rent a property whose rent is 300 a month which is under LHA.

One of those is a student, whose income is 115 a week through a bursary and his partner gets 61.15 a week carers.

Im struggling to do an HB calculation as i know students arent entitled to HB.

Will HB be considered for 50% of liability, meaning £150 a month can be considered as the students half of liability cant be considered? Am i completely misinterpreting this? I have zero experience in HB cases involving couples where one is a student whose income exceeds applicable amount and the other claims CA

As she is only on 61.15 a week (an amount below a single persons allowance) will they get full HB for 50% of the rent? His income + CA + Carers premium not triggering any IR benefits.

Been leafing thru CPAG this morning and cant make head nor tail (its friday : gimme a break!!)

Thanks

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

CPAG p915 may answer your question.

benefitsadviser
forum member

Sunderland West Advice Project

Send message

Total Posts: 1003

So thats a yes then. His partner will qualify for full housing benefit. Thanks

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3553

My understanding is that they are assessed in the normal way as a couple using the full eligible rent so long as the non-student is the claimant.

The partner who is not a student must be the one to claim HB as the other is not entitled to claim. The eligible rent will be the full amount, the applicable amount will be the couple rate plus any premiums, and the income will be their combined income, including student income, less any disregards that apply. As CPAG says, claim is assessed in the normal way - only might be different if student partner is in term-time accommodation.