From

to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

No more DHP

Colin Hannon - Welfare Benefits Adviser
forum member

Send message

Total Posts: 3

My LA have advised the HA that their DHP has now run out due to the demand to meet bedroom tax charges , am I wrong to assume does this not discriminate against applicants with general needs applications ? I am led to believe LA can dip into their Welfare Assistance budget when deemed necessary . We are getting a few tenants asking us to lodge a reconsideration having been told in writing by the LA the reason their applications been declined is no more funds ?

On face value it seems pointless and my advice is to approach their local councillor or MP after all it’s a political decision . It will be useful to hear other peoples experiences of their respective LA approach to this ?

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

Fortunately, I’ve not come across any LA in an area in which I worked which has exhausted its budget.

Rehousing Advice.
forum member

Homeless Unit - Southampton City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 637

Colin Hannon - Welfare Benefits Adviser - 07 November 2014 11:49 PM

My LA have advised the HA that their DHP has now run out due to the demand to meet bedroom tax charges

It is good news/bad news….

The good news, is that the LA has actually spent its DHP, as nothing more annoying than when the LA does not spend its allocated level of DHP, returning tens of thousands to the government.

The bad news is they appear not to have managed their budget, running out 7 monthes in.

They should be managing this budget, to last over the full year….. 

Maybe if they had run out end of February this would be more understandable.

Its a valid point you make. It would appear to disadvantage those that apply in the second half of the year.

Gareth Morgan
forum member

CEO, Ferret, Cardiff

Send message

Total Posts: 2004

Does this mean that they can’t take any new applications but the existing awards are funded until April or that they’ve run out completely now?

Are they putting any of their own money in?