to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Disability benefits  →  Thread

DWP reviewing PIP award following successful tribunal

SamW
forum member

Lambeth Every Pound Counts

Send message

Total Posts: 437

I’m wondering if the DWP are able to do what they are trying to do to my client.

Timeline is as follows. Client claims PIP June 2013. Seen by ATOS in October 2013. Decision in November 2013 that she has no entitlement to PIP. Client appeals and eventually attends tribunal in September 2014. One of the reasons that tribunal took so long was that her initial hearing was postponed and her full medical records requested - these were provided running up to June 2014. Clients appeal was successful and she has been awarded standard rate daily living and mobility up until June 2016. This decision has not been challenged and client received her backdated PIP. I would say that client’s case is marginal (although it certainly has enough merit to argue), and if I had been a DWP presenting officer at the hearing I would have recommended an appeal.

Client has now received another PIP2, with a cover letter telling her that if it is not returned her benefit could be stopped. I called DWP who advised me that this is a ‘planned intervention’ (as opposed to an ‘unplanned intervention’ which apparently is where a claimant contacts DWP and states their condition has changed). Reading between the lines it seems that they are looking at whether they can supersede the decision based on an improvement in client’s condition. Client’s condition has not improved, no further information was sent to DWP, and Tribunal had sight of all the medical records up till June 2014 when they made decision to award PIP up to 2016.

I am waiting for a call back to explain further why this intervention is being made. My feeling is that even if there is something in the medical records that they think suggests improvement, all of these records were considered by the Tribunal when they set the length of the award. If the DWP were unhappy with the Tribunal decision they should have requested a Statement of Reasons (and they should have sent a presenting officer as had directed been by the judge in the postponement decision). Unless they have new evidence that has not been considered by the Tribunal surely they cannot make a supersession, or mount a fishing expedition looking for further evidence? Once an award is made, can the DWP send out requests for medical evidence even if they have no prior evidence that things have changed?

It seems inevitable to me that I am going to be told that client must return her PIP2 or her claim will be stopped, in which case she would appeal on the basis that they had no evidence on which to start a review of the claim. If she wins that appeal she would get PIP until at least June 2016 (assuming that her condition does not significantly improve). If she does return the PIP2 and go to an assessment (maybe 20 weeks later) then it is not certain that it will be stopped but seems likely. I am not sure what date the supersession would take place from given that as far as I am aware the DWP have no further evidence that has not been considered by the tribunal. I was thinking of advising the client to return the PIP2 and at least receive her payments until she is reassessed but worry that this could leave her with an overpayment. If she is turned down and goes back to a tribunal it is 50/50 whether she will win again. So if people agree that she has a strong case to argue that the DWP have no grounds to supersede I would advise her to take the short term pain of having her PIP stopped temporarily in order to argue that the DWP cannot look at the claim again until 2016.

A third option could be to send back the PIP2 with a cover letter explicitly stating that nothing has changed since the last PIP2 was completed? If we did it this way can the DWP still seek further medical evidence?

Just to be clear, this is not a client attempting to cover up an improvement in her condition. We are trying to prevent the DWP from engineering a way of having a second bite of the cherry where a 50/50 tribunal went in her favour and they did not exercise their rights to challenge that decision in the proper manner.

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Tenancy Income, Royal Borough of Greenwich, London

Send message

Total Posts: 508

As far as I know, DWP can initiate a review when it likes. I do recall recently reading that for ESA, JCP will be going along with tribunals’ recommendations on period to elapse before review. You may wish to consider an urgent complaint, though, before the PIP2 is due back to see whether it can be withdrawn.

Daphne
Administrator

rightsnet writer / editor

Send message

Total Posts: 3553

Here is the story with link to the guidance that DWP should follow FtT recommendations on ESA -

http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/news/story/length-of-time-before-repeat-wca-should-be-applied-following-successful-app

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

SamW - 04 November 2014 06:07 PM

I am not sure what date the supersession would take place from given that as far as I am aware the DWP have no further evidence that has not been considered by the tribunal.

If the decision was advantageous to your client then it would be effective from the date the 2nd PIP2 form was sent out.

If it was not advantageous to your client it would either be effective from the date at which your client should have notified the change in circs or alternatively if the client could not have reasonably been expected to know that any change would need to be reported then it would be effective from date of decision (I think this is most likely in the circs).

DWP have the authority to look at PIP entitlement again “for any reason and at any time” (reg 11 PIP regs) so I would definitely be advising client to engage and return PIP2.

Mike Hughes
forum member

Senior welfare rights officer - Salford City Council Welfare Rights Service

Send message

Total Posts: 3138

I agree with other posters. I suspect this is nothing to do with the tribunal decision and everything to do with what we would normally think of as either a time limited award expiring or a periodic review. I appreciate it’s not the former but it certainly looks like the latter.

SamW
forum member

Send message

OK reg 11 makes it clear that she needs to get the form back so that is very useful thank you.

Given that regulation, I don’t see why the award period is even mentioned in the decision, given that the DWP are under no obligation to stick to it. They should just do it like ESA where the decisions essentially say ‘we have awarded the benefit until we decide to look at it again’.

It seems to be very different to DLA, where the award period formed part of the decision and as such my understanding was that any change to the rates within the award period was a supersession which required the DWP to show that there was a change of circumstances since the previous decision. Under DLA I would have been arguing that in order to supersede the tribunal decision the DWP would have to show that either there was medical evidence that was not considered that suggested an improvement or that evidence had emerged since the decision that suggested an approval. I would have been arguing that the DWP couldn’t use the supersession process to try and make a new decision on evidence already considered by a tribunal.

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Send message

It could be relevant for motability, where the scheme is only available to those with at least a year left to run on their award.

forum member

Deputy Manager, Reading Community Welfare Rights Unit

Send message

Total Posts: 1711

Hmmm..I have to admit I had missed the implications of Reg 11. So, in other words, in addition to frustrating positive tribunal outcomes by sitting on the payments until the SOR has been circulated, the DWP has carte blanche to immedately issue a new PIP2 (and, ultimately, make a further negative decision). Nice one.

Edmund Shepherd
forum member

Send message

I think a test of reasonableness could apply. If vulnerable people are getting two PIP2s a year without objective justification, not only is it potentially poor use of resources by DWP, but also not likely to do anyone’s health any good, especially for those who have mental health problems.

If someone had a PIP decision in May, say, tribunal in November, PIP awarded and then a PIP2 is issued within 3 months, I’d be inclined to complain and get an MP involved.

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

Worth noting that it may possibly be something to do with this ‘right payment programme’ - they are selecting cases at random (as well as ‘high risk’ cases) for review. This is also the case for DLA

BC Welfare Rights
forum member

The Brunswick Centre, Kirklees & Calderdale

Send message

Total Posts: 1366

If you didn’t see this on my earlier post it may be useful to you too

File Attachments

Den DANES
forum member

DIAL Lowestoft and Waveney

Send message

Total Posts: 110

The period of entitlement really means nothing in relation to PIP. It is the date of potential review that is crucial. A standard PIP award letter states the period of award but will also state a date that the award can be reviewed from. We have had a case where a six year award has been given to 2020 with a statement that it will be reviewed after 2019. We have had two/three year awards with review dates set after just 12 months. This was always going to be a problem with PIP. Why set award periods if in a lot of cases they mean nothing - especially given reg 11 looming as well. What I hadn’t thought about was the implication of a tribunal decision where a standard award letter will not be sent and the tribunal has no real jurisdiction to set timescales for review. Maybe as appeals workers we will need to make it standard practice to request the time frames in writing following successful appeals so we and our clients know where we stand. Happy times ahead! The potential workload is scary. We have had a number of cases that have waited months for the result and already come to us with review forms in line with the recommended timescale for review in the award letter. How will the assessment providers cope!

SamW
forum member

Send message

Billy Durrant - 06 November 2014 04:23 PM

If you didn’t see this on my earlier post it may be useful to you too

Billy that is really useful. Client’s PIP award following Tribunal decision is June 2013 - June 2016. I’m going to suggest that their guidance suggests that this should be a treated as a longer fixed term award - the guidance suggests that the expiry date should be set a year after the recommended review date. Working backwards that suggests that where you know the expiry date the planned intervention should be a year before that.

If our client had been awarded the correct physical points by the HCP, the DM would have made a 1 year award without a review date and the claim would already have expired. I’m going to argue that the fact that the Tribunal awarded the benefit until 2016 suggests that the HCP underestimated the length of time client would take to see an improvement her mental health.

Doubt it will work though to be honest, and it seems unlikely that there is much chance of taking any further action. It looks like we are going to have to start asking Tribunals to start recommending review dates as well as expiry dates. From this point on I’ll be sending a copy of that guidance along with my submissions.

I doubt that this approach to reviewing claims is going to help the PIP assessment backlogs much, especially if assessors are being encouraged to take the most optimistic view of a claimant’s chances of improvement.

Thanks all for your feedback :)