to

Forum Home  →  Discussion  →  Housing costs  →  Thread

Tariff Income for Council Tax Support - pensioners

tootired
forum member

I&A, AgeUK Teesside

Send message

Total Posts: 5

I have just seen a couple (one over 65, the other over Pension Credit age). She works (14 hours a week - low income) and he is about to claim PC. They have some savings and have been told by the local authority in writing that each £250 over 600 (typo error) attracts £1 of tariff income.

I advised them that this was incorrect and should be each £500 (or part therof) over £10000 attracts £1 of tariff income.

I examined the local authority’s Council Tax Support Scheme as published online and it does specify £250/£6000 but says nothing directly about different calculations for pensioners.

Is a local authority permitted to amend local pension age schemes in this way or have they simply been misinformed by the council?

Tom B (WRAMAS)
forum member

WRAMAS - Bristol City Council

Send message

Total Posts: 456

Interesting question. Which LA out of interest?

The Council Tax Reduction Schemes (Prescribed Requirements) (England) Regulations 2012 (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/2885/schedule/1/made) at Schedule 1 para 37 seem to suggest that LAs are required to use the £1 for every £500 figures for pensioners.

Calculation of tariff income from capital
37.  The capital of an applicant, calculated in accordance with this Part(94), is to be treated as if it were a weekly income(95) of—
(a)£1 for each £500 in excess of £10,000 but not exceeding £16,000; and .
(b)£1 for any excess which is not a complete £500.

tootired
forum member

I&A, AgeUK Teesside

Send message

Total Posts: 5

Many thanks. I’ve checked the scheme again and it refers to said regulations. Just misinformed then. I’ll not name the authority to spare their blushes and, mine for not knowing.